Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#823241 09/16/24 05:30 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Forgotten Memories

I'm almost finished with my 7th novel, "Forgotten Memories". This song is intended to reflect the essence of that story. The basic plot is a young woman (Alyson Faye Edwards) emerges from a trauma-induced coma to discover she has Pure Retrograde Amnesia (total loss of memory about anything prior to emerging from the coma) and learns she may have brutally murdered her mother. She struggles to reinvent herself and find out whether or not she did, in fact, murder her mother. The evidence is quite compelling that she did.

Does Alyson recover her memory? Did she ruthlessly murder her mother? I guess you'll have to read the book when it's published!

For those who might be interested in how I approached the recording, here's a brief synopsis:

I selected the drum track, after sampling more than a dozen, because the inobtrusive rim shots represent the passing of time - each tick a new dawning. I mixed the acoustic guitar only slightly more forward than the piano as I wanted the piano to "embrace/cradle" the lead track as Alyson's surroundings (represented by the piano track, are all new to her at this time, but where she grew up) influence her every move and decision, portrayed by the acoustic lead. The slightly more cheerful choruses are intended to reveal the more pleasant discoveries and relationships she discovers in what is a new existence for her. That's the quick version.

The musical cast:

File:Forgotten Memories.SGU

Key=C#m, Tempo 70, Length (m:s)=3:53

Style is _KARST.STY (Karst Songwriter Nylon Melody)

RealTracks in song: 3121:Bass, Acoustic, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 3115:Guitar, Nylon, Background Folk16thsMelodicBrent Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1602:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 065
RealDrums in Song: AfucheShakerEv8[single]
RealDrums in Song:NashvilleBrushesEasyBluegrass: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes, Stick

Last edited by Al-David; 09/16/24 11:06 PM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

You are very versatile in writing novels as well.
I am very interested in what kind of books they are, but unfortunately I do not have the English skills to read a novel in English from start to finish.
As for the song, the nylon guitar is fantastic, and really adds to the atmosphere.
It's an excellent soundtrack, but it's also great as a standalone instrumental piece.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

The combination of that drum and nylon guitar are magical. A perfect fit and really builds the mood.

Lots of tension in this piece, reflection and it also feels optimistic. Great music!

Good luck with your novel!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Okay. you got me right from the part that went like this: "I'm almost finished with my 7th novel" You know I'm a big fan, Alan. I'm also a huge fan of your music. Actually I'm average size, but I'm over the top with the fandom thing. Another extraordinary piece of music you have created here. With you synopsis I am even more looking forward to your publication. Thanks.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well done.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice Alan.
Perfect mix.
Good luck with the book.

Vic

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Alan, very cool concept and a very enjoyable listen indeed. Beautiful harmonic development, and I love the rests and mood shifts. Sparkly mix, and you got the balance between instruments perfect to my ears. Well done!!

Your 7th novel? Hmmm. Well, it's not bragging if it's true. HA...KIDDING! Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment. Don't know where you find the time for all this creativity...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Somehow I can't relate the song to your novel, but the song on its own is pretty good, lots of atmosphere and a really good choice of guitar.
I enjoyed my listen.
A lot!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting introduction to your song - the music captures the description very well with the moody chord progression, but I'm glad I cannot hear any brutal murder here smile That nylon guitar tells the story beautifully. The arrangement is nicely soft and the mix is airy.

Hopefully your novel will become a huge success smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful Alan! Didn't know you were a writer, great talent! Good luck with the book. The music is very evocative.
Thanks

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Alan.

Good to hear you're just about done with the book.

Whatever the genesis of the music, it's a pleasant listen.

Just a note - there's a bit of a crossfade glitch on the guitar at 2:30.

Always good to hear your music!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Just a beautifully relaxing instrumental, Al. Excellent structure and mix.

Some favourite Waoist Adages:
#1: Play on the Way.
#17: Ask not for whom the flower blooms, it blooms for you.
#69: Bring consciousness to it.
#74: On the road to effortlessness, effort must be made.
#105: Be Love Now, the rest will come on its own.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by animarorecords
Alan,

You are very versatile in writing novels as well.
I am very interested in what kind of books they are, but unfortunately I do not have the English skills to read a novel in English from start to finish.
As for the song, the nylon guitar is fantastic, and really adds to the atmosphere.
It's an excellent soundtrack, but it's also great as a standalone instrumental piece.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you very much, Shigeki. I'm delighted you enjoyed it.

Wishing you the very best,

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rsdean
Alan,

The combination of that drum and nylon guitar are magical. A perfect fit and really builds the mood.

Lots of tension in this piece, reflection and it also feels optimistic. Great music!

Good luck with your novel!

Bob

Mood building and melancholy were my specific intensions. I was so happy to hear you comment as such.

Thank you, Bob. I always look forward to your comments.

Best to you,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Okay. you got me right from the part that went like this: "I'm almost finished with my 7th novel" You know I'm a big fan, Alan. I'm also a huge fan of your music. Actually I'm average size, but I'm over the top with the fandom thing. Another extraordinary piece of music you have created here. With you synopsis I am even more looking forward to your publication. Thanks.

Hi Marty,

Well now,

Aren't you just way too kind! I'm average size, too - 5'10" and about 180. But I appreciate all the kindness in a very big way.

Apologies for the tardy and brief replies - I've been in and out of a multiplicity of tests since my heart attack, plus taking care of Di. I gotta stay healthy enough to care for her. Plus, my pooch had an emergency. Ah - vet bills!

I'm exhausted!

Wishing you everything good.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Well done.

Thanks, Floyd. I appreciate your kindness.

As always, hope you & Deb are doing well,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by vicarn
Very nice Alan.
Perfect mix.
Good luck with the book.

Vic

Thank you, Vic. I always enjoy hearing what you have to say.

I couldn't make a living off my books, but they helped me pay off my car two years early!

Best to you,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Alan, very cool concept and a very enjoyable listen indeed. Beautiful harmonic development, and I love the rests and mood shifts. Sparkly mix, and you got the balance between instruments perfect to my ears. Well done!!

Your 7th novel? Hmmm. Well, it's not bragging if it's true. HA...KIDDING! Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment. Don't know where you find the time for all this creativity...

I attempt to use the rests & mood shifts to create tension & release. I'm delighted to hear it comes across sometimes!

And yeah, I've had 6 novels published and 5 in the works.

These days, I have very little time for music or writing. The cause of my heart attack was hyperkalemia. One of my good friend's mother died from it several years ago. So, I'm devoting a lot of time to getting it treated via non-stop testing. At almost 78 years old, I have a very health-compromised spouse to care for. Getting well in order to do that is my focus.

Best to you,

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 09/20/24 10:11 PM.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Somehow I can't relate the song to your novel, but the song on its own is pretty good, lots of atmosphere and a really good choice of guitar.
I enjoyed my listen.
A lot!

Guten Abend, Mein Freund,

I'm glad you enjoyed the song, anyway. I'll happily take that!

Best to you,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by jannesan
Very interesting introduction to your song - the music captures the description very well with the moody chord progression, but I'm glad I cannot hear any brutal murder here smile That nylon guitar tells the story beautifully. The arrangement is nicely soft and the mix is airy.

Hopefully your novel will become a huge success smile

Janne

Hi Janne,

Thank you very much! I appreciate all those very kind comments!!!

Take care,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by cubanpete
Beautiful Alan! Didn't know you were a writer, great talent! Good luck with the book. The music is very evocative.
Thanks

Mike B.

Hi, Mike,

"Evocative" - I like that! Thank you so much. And many thanks for the supportive comment for the book!

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Alan.

Good to hear you're just about done with the book.

Whatever the genesis of the music, it's a pleasant listen.

Just a note - there's a bit of a crossfade glitch on the guitar at 2:30.

Always good to hear your music!

HI David,

I always enjoy your comments - helpful and encouraging!

That crossfade is actually a BIAB issue for this praticular song. I regenerated it 11 or 12 times, and that harsh artifact was present each time. So, I copied the chord pattern and brought up a new chord input sheet after restarting BIAB. Still there! So I deleted the chords and entered manually. You guessed - still there. Oh well!

Thanks for listening and the really nice comments!

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by WaoBand
Just a beautifully relaxing instrumental, Al. Excellent structure and mix.

Hello Chay,

It's very kind of you to comment so nicely! I sincerely appreciate it!

Thanks!!!

Alan

User Showcase
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
Here is a sophisticated musical reflection that reminds me of a film score. Lalo Shifrin, Henri Mancini, Ennio Morricone, John Barry and the others.
Bravo and do you know this one? I discovered it while watching Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando. I had a good time!

Laurent

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool idea Alan. I like the sound canvas.
Good instrument choices and nicely done.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Forgotten Memories - great title.
This is a lovely peaceful piece Alan.
Most enjoyable.
Regards,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan,

This is superb listening!
When the track first started, I was reminded of Spain and Tárrega's famous piece, "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" (although the two works are very different).
It's such a beautiful band that you have assembled here. I'd pay money to go and see them and to hear them smile
I was with you all the way as you music unfolded.
As I've said quite a few times before, you really do have a knack for getting the very best out of a chord progression and its arrangement.

Super-duper music in every way.
--Noel

P.S. Please say "Hello" to Di from me. It's impossible not to think of her when I reply to you.
I hope that everything is travelling as well as it can for the both of you.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Let me know when you publish your book. I would like to read it.

A very satisfying listen. I tried to picture you character as you have described her. The composition has a peaceful feel. I suppose if you lost all your memories, the loss of all the painful memories might lead to a certain calmness accompanied by emptiness.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by laurent4114
Here is a sophisticated musical reflection that reminds me of a film score. Lalo Shifrin, Henri Mancini, Ennio Morricone, John Barry and the others.
Bravo and do you know this one? I discovered it while watching Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando. I had a good time!

Laurent

Hi Laurent,

YouTube says "video unavailable". But those analogies you mentioned are truly humbling - particularly Mancini. Thank you very much!!!

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 09/24/24 09:35 PM.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by David Snyder
Very cool idea Alan. I like the sound canvas.
Good instrument choices and nicely done.

Hi David,

Thank you so much! My former wife (passed away) was visiting her neurologist one day many years ago and recounted a story of a former patient who'd suffered Pure Retrograde Amnesia from some sort of accident. When she emerged from her coma after several weeks, she discovered she was wanted by the police for felonious assault. I took the story many years later and reworked it, adding a little more drama to it with a definitive and (hopefully) surprising ending.

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by mkg50 (Mike G)
Forgotten Memories - great title.
This is a lovely peaceful piece Alan.
Most enjoyable.
Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I surely appreciate those very kind words and support.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Noel96
Hi Alan,

This is superb listening!
When the track first started, I was reminded of Spain and Tárrega's famous piece, "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" (although the two works are very different).
It's such a beautiful band that you have assembled here. I'd pay money to go and see them and to hear them smile
I was with you all the way as you music unfolded.
As I've said quite a few times before, you really do have a knack for getting the very best out of a chord progression and its arrangement.

Super-duper music in every way.
--Noel

P.S. Please say "Hello" to Di from me. It's impossible not to think of her when I reply to you.
I hope that everything is travelling as well as it can for the both of you.

Hi Noel,

You'd never have to pay money to hear my music! If I were famous (a nice, fleeting thought at times), you'd have comp tickets with a backstage pass.

Thank you so much for those wonderful comments and your unending support for my music. It always puts a smile on my face.

I'll relay your greetings to Di. We both appreciate them.

The road is pretty bumpy these days and the traffic is relentless. But, the journey must continue.

I'm not familiar with "Recuerdos de la Alhambra". I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the reference.

Wishing you everything good.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
Let me know when you publish your book. I would like to read it.

A very satisfying listen. I tried to picture you character as you have described her. The composition has a peaceful feel. I suppose if you lost all your memories, the loss of all the painful memories might lead to a certain calmness accompanied by emptiness.

Hi Scott,

The verses are supposed to define her struggles with finding herself and coming to terms with the fact that she may have murdered her mother. And the choruses should portray her moments of satisfaction as she learns more about her life before her accident - or was it an accident?

The book should be published sometime late next year. I'll let you know.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Alan, a novelist as well as a musician. How many other hidden talents you haven't shared with us?
An excellent song.
A great mix of RTs.

Yeah, I've got O.C.D, Old, Cranky, and Dangerous.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Apologies. This is brief as we continue to have internet issues after the hurricane.

Very moody and contemplative.
Per always ... well composed and mixed.
Love those guitar tracks!

Best to you re the novel. An interesting concept indeed.

J&B

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I like it! Nice guitar playing and mixed well.

Last edited by Paul Haynes; 09/30/24 05:02 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,893
Posts750,705
Members38,933
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
dimsha, jonmoi, Paolino27, tikatika, Hack Buster Recove
38,933 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
DC Ron 122