Page 1 of 2 1 2
#822958 09/13/24 04:13 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
The Rider

A song we recorded many years ago with zero thought (on my part) to the band aside from A and B substyle choices in BiaB. So this was fun to revisit.

This song is a bit of American history (and mythology) and a whole lot of cautionary tale with regard to disruptive technologies. For those unfamiliar with the Pony Express, here's the Wiki. This genre of Old West music was wildly popular in the USA 60 years ago; Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs is my favorite album example of that style. Our vocalist learned to play the guitar by playing along to this album, which is pretty cool, and he REALLY enjoyed singing this song.

THANKS in advance for any comments/input. Know there's a lot going on in the forum of late...

Lyrics: R.W. Davis
Lead Vocals: D.A. Hughes
BGVs, music, arrangement, production, mix, master: me (Think this is my first posted BGV. Dusty didn't sing one at the time so decided to stretch a bit. He's obviously much more skilled, but I had fun doing this. So there's that. Ha!)

Style is _CNTRY34.STY (Melodic Country Waltz)
RealTracks in style: ~1123:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 140
RealTracks in style: ~2050:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryWaltzJohn Sw 140 (played MIDI transcript using Wave Grand Rhapsody)
RealTracks in style: ~2055:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryWaltzBrent Sw 140
RealTracks in style: 1298:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 140
RealDrums in style:NashClassicWaltzSw^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
(This is the stock RealStyle. The piano, guitar and steel tracks were faded in/out to provide the dynamics.)

He’s been riding all night
With the bag in his hands
His horse is so tired
As it races ‘cross the lands

The hooves beat up a cloud of dust
He wipes away the dirt
He turns his ear towards a sound
As a bullet rips his shirt

Down a steep ravine he rides
The outlaws on his trail
He kicks the horse with his spurs
As he protects the mail

West, west, head west, young man
No matter who pursues
But you’ll get no glory
As you bring the news

A dozen men hot on his back
Their rifles miss the mark
His horse is fast and terrified
And they lose them in the dark

The next station is abandoned
No riders can be found
So he grabs a fresh horse
And continues westbound

He enters the last station
His final destination
All bloody and worn
His clothes are all torn

He dodged an uncertain fate
The mustachioed man begins to laugh
“Sorry, boy, you’re a little late.
We’ve already gotten a telegraph.”

West, west, head west, young man
Communication is desired
One day you’ll be replaced
By messages through the wires

He collapses to the floor
The crumpled letter in his hand
He thinks about his sacred oath
And smiles at the man

Last edited by DC Ron; 09/13/24 04:21 PM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
DC Ron #822995 09/14/24 04:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

Great song. I love the roving nature of the song and the band works so well.

Love the vocal - steady and clear. Really tells the story. The mix is excellent.

Extremely nice work all around.

Bob

DC Ron #822998 09/14/24 04:24 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I love the romantic side of history and the ballads of Marty Robbins.
Nice clear vocal which, when time permits, could be improved by changes to some of the phrasing or lyric, which seems rushed and awkward
e.g. "as it races across the lands" to " as she (or it) rides o'er the lands".
Worth working on.

Vic

DC Ron #823013 09/14/24 06:10 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I really like your choice of the 3/4 time signature, it fits the song very well.
Even though your song has a different vibe, your storytelling reminds me of Knopfler's solo stuff.
Great story, great storytelling.
LOVE it!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
DC Ron #823020 09/14/24 07:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very well done.

I like this kind of song.

The Pony Express. They preferred young boys barely into their teens and orphans. Small, lightweight, naive, and orphans. The life expectancy of those riders wasn't very long and with no family to notify, a disposable and easily replaced commodity. Between the bandits, outlaws and Indians, they had a hard road to ride.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
DC Ron #823041 09/14/24 12:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
RW,DA,DC...

Good write, good vocal, good BAND.
Good mix.

A story well-told.
The Band fits nicely. Subtle and supportive.
(I did expect you might add one of the Spaghetti Western bartones from BIAB)

fj

floyd jane #823049 09/14/24 01:23 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by rsdean
Ron, Great song. I love the roving nature of the song and the band works so well. Love the vocal - steady and clear. Really tells the story. The mix is excellent. Extremely nice work all around. Bob

Thanks, Bob. Dusty did especially enjoy this one since Marty Robbins was an early influence.

Originally Posted by vicarn
I love the romantic side of history and the ballads of Marty Robbins. Nice clear vocal which, when time permits, could be improved by changes to some of the phrasing or lyric, which seems rushed and awkward e.g. "as it races across the lands" to " as she (or it) rides o'er the lands". Worth working on. Vic

Vic, THANKS for the listen and the notes! I (of course) share your love of the romance of the Marty Robbins ballads. I'm not the lyricist, but I do like the phrase "races 'cross the lands" more than "rides o'er the lands". My role in our collaboration is to squeeze a song out of a set lyric, and I always think on reflection I could have done a better job with my choices. Will keep your notes in mind should we ever crack this one back open.

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
I really like your choice of the 3/4 time signature, it fits the song very well. Even though your song has a different vibe, your storytelling reminds me of Knopfler's solo stuff. Great story, great storytelling. LOVE it!

Thanks, B.D.! Marty's classic "El Paso" was in 6/8, and I'm sure that influenced my time signature choice on this one. I'll attribute the storytelling completely to the lyricist. I do love Knopfler's story songs. "Romeo and Juliet" (with Dire Straits) is as perfect a song as there will ever be in my mind.

Originally Posted by Guitarhacker
Very well done. I like this kind of song. The Pony Express. They preferred young boys barely into their teens and orphans. Small, lightweight, naive, and orphans. The life expectancy of those riders wasn't very long and with no family to notify, a disposable and easily replaced commodity. Between the bandits, outlaws and Indians, they had a hard road to ride.

THANKS, Herb! I love this kind of song as well. A lot we remember about The Pony Express, was mythologized by Buffalo Bill Cody and his Wild West Show. We only know now that he was never actually a rider as he claimed...

Originally Posted by floyd jane
RW,DA,DC...Good write, good vocal, good BAND.
Good mix. A story well-told. The Band fits nicely. Subtle and supportive. (I did expect you might add one of the Spaghetti Western bartones from BIAB) fj

Thank you, Floyd! BiaB DOES have great sounding baritones. I was going to craft the production in the style of Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, but when I relistened to the album and checked the credits, I was stunned to be reminded that this album only has vocals, guitar, bass and drums. Now the BGVs are tight and layered, and the lead guitarist is the incomparable Grady Martin, but still...that's pretty mind boggling. So anyway, I kept the pedal steel and piano because I liked them, but refrained from further embellishments like the harmonica I REALLY wanted.

But...Glad you liked the tune as it is!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #823099 09/15/24 08:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Based on the title and previous songs, I was expecting something fast paced galloping pop ala Rider In The Sky, not a waltz ballad. I'm glad to be surprised smile The music matches nicely with the illustrative and nostalgic story how technology beats the horse in the long run. Professional vocals as always. Fine band, the pedal steel creates nice athmosphere and the drums ride nicely. I was just wondering how a fiddle would work in the intro & outro.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

DC Ron #823117 09/15/24 02:36 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Janne, happy to have surprised you! You're right, I might have chosen "Riders in the Sky" as an alternative inspiration, since that's a GREAT song in the same genre. But "The Rider" is closer to "El Paso" in style, which may explain the time signature and tempo. I experimented with fiddle, harmonica, horns and even strings in this arrangement but tossed them all out in order to create a sparser, more authentic to the genre arrangement. Even as-is, "The Rider" quite a bit denser than either "Riders in the Sky" or "El Paso" though "Riders in the Sky" has a really cool horn section. Those guys could do a LOT with a little back in the day, and they didn't even have BiaB!!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #823118 09/15/24 03:51 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Ron.

Well written story, appropriate arrangement and vocals.

Loved where you backed the instruments off for that stanza.

Shades of Mary Robbins, with the main character dying in the end.

Nice! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
DC Ron #823127 09/15/24 05:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
DC,

Your songs are getting better and better and better!

This is really a great write and composition and production all around. Fantastic idea and instrumentation and delivery by everyone.

Kudos!

DC Ron #823131 09/15/24 06:07 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I doubt that many will be unfamiliar with the pony express as it's an archetypal part of US wild west history, plus it featured in so many ww movies and TV series. In the UK we have a Freeview channel called TalkingPictures TV which shows lots of oldies - movies and TV series - mostly from the 30s to the 60s, so lots of Westerns and a lot I remember seeing as a kid. Those shows and movies were seen all over Europe, including the then communist black as when I was in Romania in 63, aged 12, "The Lone Ranger" movie was on in a tiny village cinema.
Great song and perfect instrumentation for it.

Some favourite Waoist Adages:
#1: Play on the Way.
#17: Ask not for whom the flower blooms, it blooms for you.
#69: Bring consciousness to it.
#74: On the road to effortlessness, effort must be made.
#105: Be Love Now, the rest will come on its own.
DC Ron #823138 09/15/24 10:16 PM
User Showcase
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Good song Ron, excellent vocals mix & master - lovely clear sound & production!
Well done,

Carl

DC Ron #823139 09/15/24 10:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ron,

As mentioned, this brings to mind Marty Robbins from the early 1960s.

The 3/4 time signature was a perfect choice. A well-written song and produced so superbly. This works on all levels. A sincere tip of the 10-gallon hat.

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

DC Ron #823178 09/16/24 07:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Ron,

Let me start with what David wrote. You are getting better and better all the time with your songs.
And I already enjoyed them, where will that leads us to?
Choosing a waltz for this song is a good decision; it adds an extra dynamic.
But I read others wrote that too, so now you know for sure it was a good decision ;-)
I liked the lyrics, but most of all the way you sang them. Great voice!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
DC Ron #823197 09/16/24 10:03 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Ron
Wow. Absolute TOP Song
Sounds really great
Pro Vocals !
Everything is perfectly coordinated
Congratulations
Andi ;-)

DC Ron #823200 09/16/24 10:17 AM
User Showcase
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
I really like the theme of the song and the way it is interpreted with a good choice of instruments.
Laurent

laurent4114 #823228 09/16/24 02:39 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Ron. Well written story, appropriate arrangement and vocals. Loved where you backed the instruments off for that stanza. Shades of Mary Robbins, with the main character dying in the end. Nice! smile

Thanks, David! Yeah, it's interesting to me how much Marty's story songs created musical interest for youngsters and shaped a generation or two. Know I was crazy for his songs, unhappy endings and all...

Originally Posted by David Snyder
DC, Your songs are getting better and better and better! This is really a great write and composition and production all around. Fantastic idea and instrumentation and delivery by everyone. Kudos!

Why, THANK YOU, David! I think the quality of the arrangements and production are definitely benefitting from my just TAKING THE TIME to listen carefully and get it as right as I can. And all that goes a long way in shaping the listening experience for any song. Or so I think...

Originally Posted by WaoBand
I doubt that many will be unfamiliar with the pony express as it's an archetypal part of US wild west history, plus it featured in so many ww movies and TV series. In the UK we have a Freeview channel called TalkingPictures TV which shows lots of oldies - movies and TV series - mostly from the 30s to the 60s, so lots of Westerns and a lot I remember seeing as a kid. Those shows and movies were seen all over Europe, including the then communist black as when I was in Romania in 63, aged 12, "The Lone Ranger" movie was on in a tiny village cinema. Great song and perfect instrumentation for it.

Chay, glad you enjoyed the song! Funny story (to me)...Was in Dubai for work in about 1990. The Korean employees in the hotel lounge were excited to see us. "Tomorrow is our America theme night--you have to come back for that!" And so we did. The three bartenders were dressed in cowboy gear, from the bottom of their boots to top of their Stetsons. The servers were dressed like...well you can imagine. When we walked in they shouted an obscenity laced "Howdy!" because, well...this WAS America theme night after all, right? We had a great time singing western Karaoke songs, the highlight being "A Boy Named Sue". It was a night to remember. Obviously. Which is a long way of saying...I sometimes forget how ubiquitous wild west mythology is around the world. THANKS for the reminder!!!

Originally Posted by camog
Good song Ron, excellent vocals mix & master - lovely clear sound & production! Well done, Carl

Carl, THANKS for the listen! Know this is not stylistically close to the beautiful instrumental tunes you are posting, but I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Dusty's excellent vocals are a joy to work with. He makes everything better. smile

Originally Posted by Al-David
Hi Ron, As mentioned, this brings to mind Marty Robbins from the early 1960s. The 3/4 time signature was a perfect choice. A well-written song and produced so superbly. This works on all levels. A sincere tip of the 10-gallon hat. Alan

Hi, Alan! Hope you and Di have had a better week. This was a lot of fun for us, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by Birchwood
Hello Ron, Let me start with what David wrote. You are getting better and better all the time with your songs. And I already enjoyed them, where will that leads us to? Choosing a waltz for this song is a good decision; it adds an extra dynamic. But I read others wrote that too, so now you know for sure it was a good decision ;-) I liked the lyrics, but most of all the way you sang them. Great voice! Hans

Thanks, Hans, that's so flattering. But I don't want to take all the credit: The lyrics were by my brother, and the vocals were by Dusty. I TOTALLY agree they did a fabulous job!

Originally Posted by PROJECT M
Hi Ron Wow. Absolute TOP Song Sounds really great Pro Vocals ! Everything is perfectly coordinated Congratulations Andi ;-)

THANKS, Andi!

Originally Posted by laurent4114
I really like the theme of the song and the way it is interpreted with a good choice of instruments. Laurent

Laurent, THANKS, I like the theme a lot, too. It's a wild west song, but with a twist that says something about today. Appreciate the kind thoughts!!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #823285 09/17/24 06:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love this stuff, Ron, and a great song to present the flavor of the Old West. Last night we just finished the Netflix presentation of Wyatt Earp and The Cowboy War. I really like how those BGVs lift up the vocal. You fill these compositions with such accomplished talent in your collaborators. Excellent mix and a very enjoyable write.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
DC Ron #823301 09/17/24 09:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ron...great song and great style...as I listened the first time I was captivated by the story line and hoped the whole time he would make it to the end of the line...if I were him I would have been tempted to cut the telegraph wires but that's just me...Dusty's vocals are always right on and he's one of my favs...BTW, Dusty Hughes is the perfect name for a singer in this genre...his name sounds like a picture by Charles Russel or Frederic Remington laugh...great job on BGV's, arrangement, mix and mastering...those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's grew up in a cowboy culture no matter where we lived...great story telling and delivery!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,893
Posts750,711
Members38,933
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
dimsha, jonmoi, Paolino27, tikatika, Hack Buster Recove
38,933 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
DC Ron 122