Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Logic Pro 11 has an impressive splitter.
Hey Bud, it would take an "act of congress" for me to migrate from Windows to macOS but for grins if you need a song to split, You've Got Your Troubles is a good test case; it has lots of low-end brass.

SongMaster Pro will separate the bass but it's wobbly and full of static. This, maybe, could be cleaned-up with some EQ attention but it loses its mind around 0:42 and produces no bass at all, which I see no way to fix.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
My experience with SongMaster Pro (ver 2.1) has so far, been lackluster in this regard. When separating the bass I have found the resulting audio often sounds warbly and squishy and even has regions of no music at all when I know music should be there.

(...)

Eventually, my final goal here is to produce quality bass tabs of songs I want to learn. Bass separation would be step #1 followed by (a different?) software to produce a tab from the stem. For me, a great solution would be if my DAW (Studio One) had this capability built-in but I'm not holding my breath.

I find Some Master Pro quite good isolating bass with most styles, of course, the better the source is, the better results you'll get.

Moises works also very well, IMO, not 100% sure, but I think both (and many others) are based on the (open source) Spleeter code.

I use stem separation mostly to remove the original bass line, so it works pretty well for me. I guess you know SMP can export Midi from stems, a couple of versions ago that feature didn't work really well, but the last version seems to be considerably better on this regard (I've only experimented a little bit with that feature). Did you try it?

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A classic tune. I can image it would take an enormous effort to pick a clean bass line from that.

Separately, I wonder what AI could do? Maybe it could intelligently(?) determine the bass notes based on multiple other factors within the song?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
A classic tune.
Absolutely! I'm telling ya, it's all about the newspaper ink laugh

From Wikipedia: The Fortunes are an English harmony beat group. Formed in Birmingham, . . .

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
A classic tune. I can image it would take an enormous effort to pick a clean bass line from that.

Why would anyone need stem separation, AI or anything else to hear the bass in You've Got Your Troubles, I've Got Mine? It's quite easy to hear every note in that bass line.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Why would anyone need stem separation, AI or anything else to hear the bass in You've Got Your Troubles, I've Got Mine? It's quite easy to hear every note in that bass line.
Yes, it is easy to hear the bass line.
But you are missing the entire point. This is about
1. Progressing towards software that can separate bass stems and then produce tab. Did you not read the initial post? And
2. Finding an effective stem separation tool for all songs not just You've Got Your Troubles, and
3. Establishing a common song to use as a test case. Without a common song, it's difficult to compare apples-to-apples.

These are not hard concepts to understand.
Do you get it now or do you still need teaching?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I’m intrigued by AudioTrack’s question.

Forgetting the exact song for a moment, at what point will software try to use AI to make a guess at what the bass was playing, when the stem separator isn’t sure?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Matt Finley

Forgetting the exact song for a moment, at what point will software try to use AI to make a guess at what the bass was playing, when the stem separator isn’t sure?
Educated guess,,, That's what I would do...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Matt Finley

I am not really sure how and if AI could achieve anything. However, presumably it could be used to interpret many other melodic components of the music, including the surrounding song structure, and from that establish what would potentially work along with the stem separation that had been interpreted, including suggested corrections to stem separation where there is a lower degree of confidence. In essence, could it smarten up / value add to the stem separation process?

(Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is really feasible, I was just throwing ideas around, but I think the concept has some merit.)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In essence, could it smarten up / value add to the stem separation process?
My answer is "yes".

Before the pandemic really took hold, my wifey and I enrolled in a music theory course at a local college. Three other couples were also middle-aged; everyone else was a twenty-something. The class was subsequently cancelled but we had already purchased the textbook; a massive, densely-written tome of some 800+ pages; Music Theory Remixed by Kevin Holm-Hudson.

My point is, a music AI could be trained on this book and every other music related book ever written. Those that are formally trained in music can appreciate just how much knowledge this would represent. Combine this with another (or the same) AI that has been trained on thousands or millions of songs and the result will meet every bass separation and tab generation task I could dream up. One down-side however, is that authors of music theory books may no longer be required. Simultaneous progress and anti-progress?

In the meantime, I'll use bass tabs that happen to be readily available and construct my own bass lines when they aren't.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
My take on this is a little less optomistic, though I'm pretty sure it will improve.

The reason I'm less optimistic is that what the software is doing is identifying all the little nuances of the sound and attributing those nuances to a particular sound source, e.g., a bass guitar. How well it isolates depends on how well it does that attribution. It can attibute by frequency, phase, time and articulations. But if any other source supplies nuances that fit close-enough to the bass, nuances will likely be wrongly attributed. A solid electric bass is probably a fairly predictable sound, so relatively easy, but even then, slaps and percussive effects may sometimes be difficult to attribute to bass, rather than percussion. I presently hear quite noticable 'fails' between vocals and strings and synths and whilst I anticipate that will improve, I do wonder how much it realistically can improve, particularly when the audio processing perhaps interferes, e.g., by ducking, chorus and so on.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The way I'm thinking about using AI is that it might be able to work much more closely to how a human thinks and acts.

A skilled human could more easily hear through the surrounding noise clutter and determine that the bass note was obviously (for example) an Eb. Whereas using software or hardware to identify the required separation will be often clouded by all of those adjacent articulations and intonations, including the undesirable sonic variances that are present in lower resolution recordings.

But, bring AI into the picture, and you've introduced a more superior 'human-like' intelligent thinking into interpreting exactly what that note is, the same way that a skilled musician's ear could achieve a better result than some software separation applications might.

If a skilled musician could determine that the note is definitely an Eb, then I'm convinced that AI could deliver the same or better.

Just my thoughts on other ways to achieve a successful result. Perhaps premature at this stage, but give it time... it will happen.

Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
It seems that AI powered Stem Separation will be available directly in the new release of Studio One Pro 7 as released today.

I have not bought it or tested it yet.

https://www.presonus.com/en-US/studio-one-pro-features.html

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
My take on this is a little less optomistic, though I'm pretty sure it will improve.

A solid electric bass is probably a fairly predictable sound, so relatively easy, but even then, slaps and percussive effects may sometimes be difficult to attribute to bass, rather than percussion.
It's so refreshing to read the perspectives of intelligent people who can actually comprehend this thread and converse at an adult level. You and AudioTrack are among those that have a strong set of healthy brain cells, keep using them smile

Yes, percussive slaps and other musical elements (including musical "liberties" taken by the musicians) can certainly make it challenging for an AI to "properly" separate the bass stem. But remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough.

Google DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis has won a joint Nobel Prize for Chemistry for using AI to predict the structures of proteins. The potential impact of this research is enormous. Proteins are fundamental to life, but understanding what they do involves figuring out their structure—a very hard puzzle that once took months or years to crack for each type of protein.

So if the difficult protein-structure problem has largely been cracked, how hard can it be to extract the bass stem from a song by The Fortunes, especially if it has a knowledge of how good bass players play bass?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
If a skilled musician could determine that the note is definitely an Eb, then I'm convinced that AI could deliver the same or better.
That sounds more like extracting the notes, e.g., as MIDI, rather than isolating the stems, which is what BassThumper was asking. For me, "the stems" means the actual sound of the bass extracted from the audio. I suppose one way to get a clean stem might be to identify all of the notes and articulations and convert that to MIDI and identify a suitable-sounding instrument and creat a MIDI+VST track that does a good emulation of the stem. I.e., creating a new stem that sounds very like the one from the song. One would certainly get a clean output.

How far it could go with other sound sources is another question. If one extracts the voice, translates that to MIDI and allies that to a vocal VSTi, how close can one get to a clone of the original. I guess if the original singer has good voice samples out there, possibly pretty close.

Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
... an AI to "properly" separate the bass stem. But remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough.
... and rebuilding would satisfy that.

When does an extracted stem become a straight forgery?

Suppressing the original bass in the remainder of the recording remains an issue due to artifacts from the bass that 'look' to the software like articafts of some other sound.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The way I'm thinking about using AI is that it might be able to work much more closely to how a human thinks and acts.
+1

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
How far it could go with other sound sources is another question. If one extracts the voice, translates that to MIDI . . .
Hmmm, now there's some unique thinking. My thought on this from the beginning was to keep everything in audio format, like how SongMaster does it. But if the separated stem were to be pushed into MIDI, now you have a much cleaner, note-by-note representation of the bass . . . added complexity in doing it but a much cleaner output.

Lately I've been thinking about a more hybrid approach. Rather than have an AI do everything from beginning to end, why not have a human in the loop? As I mentioned, SongMaster produced a bass stem with a gaping hole in the middle of the song. What if there was a checkbox: Are there gaps in the music? If "no", then it would know to prevent any gaps from occuring in the stem. If "yes", you'd be prompted to specify where in the timeline the gaps ocurr. This approach could be extended to deal with other areas of ambiguity thereby guiding it to do its job.

I wonder if such human guidance was built into the protein-structure code.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As user schlind just mentioned, I received my email notice to upgrade to Studio One 7, with AI-assisted stem separation. Four tracks:

Vocals
Drums
Bass
Other

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by shlind
It seems that AI powered Stem Separation will be available directly in the new release of Studio One Pro 7 as released today.
Well Jimmny Cricket and Jumpin' Bullfrogs!!!
Look at my original post . . . ask and ye shall recieve smile

The fact that it has the same 4 stem categories as SongMaster kind of tells me that it uses similar underlying AI code which will result in similar limitations, but hey, it's a start and they can only build on this to hopefully reach my final vision:

Audio -> Bass Stem Separation -> Bass Tab

You must have special-early-bird-backstage-access to their products.
Thanks for sharing.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps the Song Master Pro version differs, because I have SIX stems:

Vocal
Drums
Guitar
Bass
Piano
The Rest

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,961
Posts751,607
Members38,953
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
HiWorld, Flavio Ibelli, soul57, Vince44, iTsens
38,953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 121