Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I’m seeking a stem separation software program that can finally meet my needs. I’m assuming the state-of-the-art is there; but I could be wrong and another year or two may be needed for this technology to mature.

My experience with SongMaster Pro (ver 2.1) has so far, been lackluster in this regard. When separating the bass I have found the resulting audio often sounds warbly and squishy and even has regions of no music at all when I know music should be there.

Here are some applications in no particular order that I understand can do at least a limited level of separation.

SongMaster Pro
Voice.ai Stem Splitter
Gaudio Studio
AuDimix
Ultimate Vocal Remover
Splitter AI
LALAL.AI
iZotope RX
RipX Daw
Spectralayers
Melodyne
Acon Digital Remix
Moises
Logic Pro (macOs Only)

Eventually, my final goal here is to produce quality bass tabs of songs I want to learn. Bass separation would be step #1 followed by (a different?) software to produce a tab from the stem. For me, a great solution would be if my DAW (Studio One) had this capability built-in but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone found an application that can extract bass stems you are actually happy with across at least 2 or 3 different genres? FWIW, I'd prefer a stand-alone program as opposed to a website for this.

If no, is anyone interested in doing a semi-deep dive on this subject offline?

Last edited by Bass Thumper; 10/06/24 01:41 PM.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
You forgot Rip X Daw

You can watch some of examples from this Video How Harmonies work He is using Rip X in this video.

Last edited by Brian Hughes; 10/02/24 08:46 AM.

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 7 Windows 11

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Brian Hughes
You forgot Rip X Daw
Thanks, I added it to my list.
Have you used it to separate bass?

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I do not need to 'use' the stems in any further form; I only use Song Master Pro to hear them isolated when there is some question while I transcribe a song.

I cannot speak about all those other programs you listed, but I thought they all use the Spleeter technology, so I would be surprised if they produce markedly different results. That's just a guess, however.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
I do not need to 'use' the stems in any further form; I only use Song Master Pro to hear them isolated when there is some question while I transcribe a song.

I cannot speak about all those other programs you listed, but I thought they all use the Spleeter technology, so I would be surprised if they produce markedly different results. That's just a guess, however.

I have a number of Spleeter based apps including Ozone 11 Advanced. Spleeter doesn't do a good job separating the bass from the harmonics in the other instruments. Nothing does, really. Not hearing a bass line well enough to transcribe has never been my problem, however.

Steinberg's Spectralayers Pro does a better job but nothing is great on bass.

I used Spectralayers on a live recording I did about 25 years ago for a new recording of the same song. I was able to extract the voice of a friend who had passed away in 2008 to blend him into the chorus. On listening, I realized that my upright bass was at a similar tempo and, if isolated, would be nice to include it. My handicap precludes me from ever playing a string bass of any kind again.

I had to give up after a few hours — just couldn't get the track clean enough to re-use. Easier to play it again using VIs.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So far, FWIW, the consensus seems to be that the technology simply isn't there yet.

No doubt, to do this right is a herculean challenge. Imagine a song with a heavy kick drum, low-end piano and keyboard, maybe some tuba or trombone plus bass guitar; all hovering around the same frequency band. It really is asking a lot for an AI code to find and isolate the bass guitar "needle" in a giant low-end and time-changing "haystack".

That said, I believe it's just a matter of time before it's done and done well. The basis of my optimism is how LLMs have taken the computer community by storm; truly amazing, especially in medical applications.

I'm guessing that this will require a minimum 2-step process. Step #1 to isolate (as best it can) the bass instruments, in part by it's frequency content to produce a "pre-stem". Then Step #2 (the hard part) is to take that pre-stem and apply a musical knowledge to remove everything that isn't bass guitar. What remains would be the desired bass stem.

I believe that David Cuny first said that PGMusic would be well-positioned to do this kind of work because BiaB could be used to create training data sets for such an AI program.. Each data set would be made up of "the problem" (a song containing a bunch of overlapping low-frequency instruments) and "the solution" (the crystal-clear bass track). But you couldn't do this manually. You'd need to create a program to automatically create these sets by the thousands if not millions across a handful of instrument lists, genres, keys and tempos.

Thanks for mentioning Spectralayers, I added it to the list above.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, I agree with your conclusion but since it is a technique in its relative infancy, I hope we will see improvement. It may never get to the point where it gets everything right, and you gave one good example.

While the isolated bass line may sound rather poor in Song Master Pro, there can be a benefit in having it muted if you want to hear the rest of the mix more easily, or use the track as a music-minus-one for bass.

Hearing the bass line certainly isn't any problem for me either, Mike, but if a tool exists to make it easier, why not use it?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Not just bass no. I separate the entire song to hear all the parts of a song I want to learn. The program has a couple of versions I believe and is quite powerful. I don't think it is perfect by any means but considering this was considered impossible some time ago. It was like how to un-bake a cake. For Mac users with Logic Pro 11 this feature is built into the software if you have a M chip.
I only use this program to dissect a songs parts to learn what it is doing. I do not use any of the parts itself.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
. . . there can be a benefit in having it muted if you want to hear the rest of the mix more easily, or use the track as a music-minus-one for bass.
I hear ya Matt, I frequently "mute" the bass in Studio One using Pro EQ when I want to record bass over popular songs I like; basically high-pass filtering. This has served me well for years even back to my early Audacity days. Of course, no stem extraction is being applied in doing this but it does work well for its intended purpose.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hearing the bass line certainly isn't any problem for me either, Mike, but if a tool exists to make it easier, why not use it?

I wasn't directing that at you. Are you trying to make bass TAB?

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Are you trying to make bass TAB?
Never touch the stuff.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Melodyne yet. I use it when transcribing bass lines. I really don't have any use for isolated bass stems. I want to get an accurate transcription of the bass line, and then practice to the complete song, playing along with the original bass player. I have Melodyne Studio, so I can't tell you what the minimum version needs to be to get the different audio sources separated.

Melodyne is great for determining what is a bass note and what is a note from another instrument. If there are two notes close to each other in the piano roll view, just click on each blob to hear it and identify it. Melodyne is especially useful when dealing with microtonal sounds, like you could get from a double bass note played between "fret" positions.

For example, identifying the first two notes from Michael Arnopol's superb bass line In Patricia Barber's "Too Rich For My Blood" drove me nuts until I used Melodyne. I just couldn't get the right sound for those two notes on any my fretted basses. It turned out that the first note was 50 cents sharp, the second note was 25 cents sharp and the remainder of the 8 minute bass line was in a spot on F major. I came close with a fretted bass using a 1/2 bend for the first note and a 1/4 bend for the second, but it wasn't a smooth transition.

Being able to see the bass line blobs in Melodyne on the piano roll makes creating the bass line notation for a given song easy. Creating the tab after that takes some time playing through it and figuring out where you want to be on the neck for any given section.

It may be possible sometime in the future to have software generate an accurate notation of a single instrument from a band or orchestra performance, but automatic generation of the best tab from the notation won't happen any time soon, IMO.

Last edited by TheMaartian; 10/03/24 12:51 AM.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; RME Fireface UCX II; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Bitwig Studio 5; Studio One Pro 7; Melodyne Studio 5; Acoustica Premium 7
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by TheMaartian
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Melodyne yet. I use it when transcribing bass lines.

It may be possible sometime in the future to have software generate an accurate notation of a single instrument from a band or orchestra performance, but automatic generation of the best tab from the notation won't happen any time soon, IMO.
Hey Maartian, thanks for your very thoughtful reply; I added Melodyne to the list above so to be visible in the coming days and weeks for anyone else interested in this subject. You are way further down the musical road than I am.

Am I correct that your method is to view the entire mix (all instruments) in "blob format" and upon playback you're basically slowly and manually moving from blob to blob to identify bass notes? And then once identified you decide where on the fretboard to place that note on your tab? If yes, I'd say that's Melodyne-assisted manual transcription, a skill that I'd have to develop.

FWIW, on many songs I want to learn I'll print the chord sheet and play only the root to verify my chord sheet is accurate; this gives me an idea of where on the fretboard I'm operating. If required, I'll start this at 10 or 20 BPM slower than the original. Then I'll slowly increase the complexity as required by adding the 5th, then arpeggios, then small fills/runs until I'm somewhat satisfied to claim "victory". I suppose this too is manual transcription, but not nearly as advanced as what you do. Of course, my basslines will always pale compared to the pro in the band. And so I'm looking for a better, minimal effort and maximal accuracy method to up my game.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I also overlooked one: Acon Digital Remix. It's a plugin for VST, VST3, or ProTools. It's made by the same folks who make Acoustica 7, the stereo editor I use now.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I also overlooked one: Acon Digital Remix. It's a plugin for VST, VST3, or ProTools. It's made by the same folks who make Acoustica 7, the stereo editor I use now.
I totally forgot I had a license for this. It's in the Tools tab of Acoustica Premium. Thanks for the reminder!

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
Originally Posted by TheMaartian
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Melodyne yet. I use it when transcribing bass lines.

Am I correct that your method is to view the entire mix (all instruments) in "blob format" and upon playback you're basically slowly and manually moving from blob to blob to identify bass notes? And then once identified you decide where on the fretboard to place that note on your tab? If yes, I'd say that's Melodyne-assisted manual transcription, a skill that I'd have to develop.
Yes, that's basically correct. In most cases, it's pretty obvious which blobs are the bass notes. It's only when the bassist is playing near the bridge on the D or G strings that notes from another instrument like a guitar or piano can make it confusing. That's the only time I need to audition the blobs. Also, I make no attempt to go straight to tab. The first step is to transcribe the bass line to notation. That is unambiguous. An A5 is an A5. But there are several A5's on the fretboard. I start working through the bass line notation and figure out where I want to be on the neck and then develop the tab from there (if I even want/need to create at tab).

Last edited by TheMaartian; 10/04/24 01:22 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I also overlooked one: Acon Digital Remix.
I never heard of this one, thanks.
We have quite a list. Assuming these applications represent different software teams and that these teams continue to maintain their products, there's a bunch of people working this problem which tells me that major progress is quite likely.

Also, for you 6-string guitarists and maybe banjo players?, in principal, what we're talking about here could benefit you too.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
FWIW, I recently became aware of another player in this space; Moises.
So I tested it out on a song and the bass separation is roughly the same as SongMaster Pro . . . lackluster.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
FWIW, I recently became aware of another player in this space; Moises.
So I tested it out on a song and the bass separation is roughly the same as SongMaster Pro . . . lackluster.

All of the Spleeter based apps perform about the same. Spleeter is open-sourced freeware if you want to try your hand at it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Logic Pro 11 has an impressive splitter. I’ve tried the bass removal on songs I played
on live with our band on stage and home
recordings. But all my bass was upright within the context of acoustic bands. I may try it at some point on a few recordings with electric bass. Whenever I get to a need something to do point. 😀

Bud

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Logic Pro 11 has an impressive splitter.
Hey Bud, it would take an "act of congress" for me to migrate from Windows to macOS but for grins if you need a song to split, You've Got Your Troubles is a good test case; it has lots of low-end brass.

SongMaster Pro will separate the bass but it's wobbly and full of static. This, maybe, could be cleaned-up with some EQ attention but it loses its mind around 0:42 and produces no bass at all, which I see no way to fix.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
My experience with SongMaster Pro (ver 2.1) has so far, been lackluster in this regard. When separating the bass I have found the resulting audio often sounds warbly and squishy and even has regions of no music at all when I know music should be there.

(...)

Eventually, my final goal here is to produce quality bass tabs of songs I want to learn. Bass separation would be step #1 followed by (a different?) software to produce a tab from the stem. For me, a great solution would be if my DAW (Studio One) had this capability built-in but I'm not holding my breath.

I find Some Master Pro quite good isolating bass with most styles, of course, the better the source is, the better results you'll get.

Moises works also very well, IMO, not 100% sure, but I think both (and many others) are based on the (open source) Spleeter code.

I use stem separation mostly to remove the original bass line, so it works pretty well for me. I guess you know SMP can export Midi from stems, a couple of versions ago that feature didn't work really well, but the last version seems to be considerably better on this regard (I've only experimented a little bit with that feature). Did you try it?

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
A classic tune. I can image it would take an enormous effort to pick a clean bass line from that.

Separately, I wonder what AI could do? Maybe it could intelligently(?) determine the bass notes based on multiple other factors within the song?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
A classic tune.
Absolutely! I'm telling ya, it's all about the newspaper ink laugh

From Wikipedia: The Fortunes are an English harmony beat group. Formed in Birmingham, . . .

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
A classic tune. I can image it would take an enormous effort to pick a clean bass line from that.

Why would anyone need stem separation, AI or anything else to hear the bass in You've Got Your Troubles, I've Got Mine? It's quite easy to hear every note in that bass line.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Why would anyone need stem separation, AI or anything else to hear the bass in You've Got Your Troubles, I've Got Mine? It's quite easy to hear every note in that bass line.
Yes, it is easy to hear the bass line.
But you are missing the entire point. This is about
1. Progressing towards software that can separate bass stems and then produce tab. Did you not read the initial post? And
2. Finding an effective stem separation tool for all songs not just You've Got Your Troubles, and
3. Establishing a common song to use as a test case. Without a common song, it's difficult to compare apples-to-apples.

These are not hard concepts to understand.
Do you get it now or do you still need teaching?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I’m intrigued by AudioTrack’s question.

Forgetting the exact song for a moment, at what point will software try to use AI to make a guess at what the bass was playing, when the stem separator isn’t sure?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Forgetting the exact song for a moment, at what point will software try to use AI to make a guess at what the bass was playing, when the stem separator isn’t sure?
Educated guess,,, That's what I would do...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

I am not really sure how and if AI could achieve anything. However, presumably it could be used to interpret many other melodic components of the music, including the surrounding song structure, and from that establish what would potentially work along with the stem separation that had been interpreted, including suggested corrections to stem separation where there is a lower degree of confidence. In essence, could it smarten up / value add to the stem separation process?

(Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is really feasible, I was just throwing ideas around, but I think the concept has some merit.)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In essence, could it smarten up / value add to the stem separation process?
My answer is "yes".

Before the pandemic really took hold, my wifey and I enrolled in a music theory course at a local college. Three other couples were also middle-aged; everyone else was a twenty-something. The class was subsequently cancelled but we had already purchased the textbook; a massive, densely-written tome of some 800+ pages; Music Theory Remixed by Kevin Holm-Hudson.

My point is, a music AI could be trained on this book and every other music related book ever written. Those that are formally trained in music can appreciate just how much knowledge this would represent. Combine this with another (or the same) AI that has been trained on thousands or millions of songs and the result will meet every bass separation and tab generation task I could dream up. One down-side however, is that authors of music theory books may no longer be required. Simultaneous progress and anti-progress?

In the meantime, I'll use bass tabs that happen to be readily available and construct my own bass lines when they aren't.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My take on this is a little less optomistic, though I'm pretty sure it will improve.

The reason I'm less optimistic is that what the software is doing is identifying all the little nuances of the sound and attributing those nuances to a particular sound source, e.g., a bass guitar. How well it isolates depends on how well it does that attribution. It can attibute by frequency, phase, time and articulations. But if any other source supplies nuances that fit close-enough to the bass, nuances will likely be wrongly attributed. A solid electric bass is probably a fairly predictable sound, so relatively easy, but even then, slaps and percussive effects may sometimes be difficult to attribute to bass, rather than percussion. I presently hear quite noticable 'fails' between vocals and strings and synths and whilst I anticipate that will improve, I do wonder how much it realistically can improve, particularly when the audio processing perhaps interferes, e.g., by ducking, chorus and so on.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
The way I'm thinking about using AI is that it might be able to work much more closely to how a human thinks and acts.

A skilled human could more easily hear through the surrounding noise clutter and determine that the bass note was obviously (for example) an Eb. Whereas using software or hardware to identify the required separation will be often clouded by all of those adjacent articulations and intonations, including the undesirable sonic variances that are present in lower resolution recordings.

But, bring AI into the picture, and you've introduced a more superior 'human-like' intelligent thinking into interpreting exactly what that note is, the same way that a skilled musician's ear could achieve a better result than some software separation applications might.

If a skilled musician could determine that the note is definitely an Eb, then I'm convinced that AI could deliver the same or better.

Just my thoughts on other ways to achieve a successful result. Perhaps premature at this stage, but give it time... it will happen.

Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
It seems that AI powered Stem Separation will be available directly in the new release of Studio One Pro 7 as released today.

I have not bought it or tested it yet.

https://www.presonus.com/en-US/studio-one-pro-features.html

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
My take on this is a little less optomistic, though I'm pretty sure it will improve.

A solid electric bass is probably a fairly predictable sound, so relatively easy, but even then, slaps and percussive effects may sometimes be difficult to attribute to bass, rather than percussion.
It's so refreshing to read the perspectives of intelligent people who can actually comprehend this thread and converse at an adult level. You and AudioTrack are among those that have a strong set of healthy brain cells, keep using them smile

Yes, percussive slaps and other musical elements (including musical "liberties" taken by the musicians) can certainly make it challenging for an AI to "properly" separate the bass stem. But remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough.

Google DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis has won a joint Nobel Prize for Chemistry for using AI to predict the structures of proteins. The potential impact of this research is enormous. Proteins are fundamental to life, but understanding what they do involves figuring out their structure—a very hard puzzle that once took months or years to crack for each type of protein.

So if the difficult protein-structure problem has largely been cracked, how hard can it be to extract the bass stem from a song by The Fortunes, especially if it has a knowledge of how good bass players play bass?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If a skilled musician could determine that the note is definitely an Eb, then I'm convinced that AI could deliver the same or better.
That sounds more like extracting the notes, e.g., as MIDI, rather than isolating the stems, which is what BassThumper was asking. For me, "the stems" means the actual sound of the bass extracted from the audio. I suppose one way to get a clean stem might be to identify all of the notes and articulations and convert that to MIDI and identify a suitable-sounding instrument and creat a MIDI+VST track that does a good emulation of the stem. I.e., creating a new stem that sounds very like the one from the song. One would certainly get a clean output.

How far it could go with other sound sources is another question. If one extracts the voice, translates that to MIDI and allies that to a vocal VSTi, how close can one get to a clone of the original. I guess if the original singer has good voice samples out there, possibly pretty close.

... an AI to "properly" separate the bass stem. But remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough.
... and rebuilding would satisfy that.

When does an extracted stem become a straight forgery?

Suppressing the original bass in the remainder of the recording remains an issue due to artifacts from the bass that 'look' to the software like articafts of some other sound.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The way I'm thinking about using AI is that it might be able to work much more closely to how a human thinks and acts.
+1

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
How far it could go with other sound sources is another question. If one extracts the voice, translates that to MIDI . . .
Hmmm, now there's some unique thinking. My thought on this from the beginning was to keep everything in audio format, like how SongMaster does it. But if the separated stem were to be pushed into MIDI, now you have a much cleaner, note-by-note representation of the bass . . . added complexity in doing it but a much cleaner output.

Lately I've been thinking about a more hybrid approach. Rather than have an AI do everything from beginning to end, why not have a human in the loop? As I mentioned, SongMaster produced a bass stem with a gaping hole in the middle of the song. What if there was a checkbox: Are there gaps in the music? If "no", then it would know to prevent any gaps from occuring in the stem. If "yes", you'd be prompted to specify where in the timeline the gaps ocurr. This approach could be extended to deal with other areas of ambiguity thereby guiding it to do its job.

I wonder if such human guidance was built into the protein-structure code.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As user schlind just mentioned, I received my email notice to upgrade to Studio One 7, with AI-assisted stem separation. Four tracks:

Vocals
Drums
Bass
Other

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by shlind
It seems that AI powered Stem Separation will be available directly in the new release of Studio One Pro 7 as released today.
Well Jimmny Cricket and Jumpin' Bullfrogs!!!
Look at my original post . . . ask and ye shall recieve smile

The fact that it has the same 4 stem categories as SongMaster kind of tells me that it uses similar underlying AI code which will result in similar limitations, but hey, it's a start and they can only build on this to hopefully reach my final vision:

Audio -> Bass Stem Separation -> Bass Tab

You must have special-early-bird-backstage-access to their products.
Thanks for sharing.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps the Song Master Pro version differs, because I have SIX stems:

Vocal
Drums
Guitar
Bass
Piano
The Rest

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
How well does your version do on The Fortunes Song?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Vocal
Drums
Guitar
Bass
Piano
The Rest
Yes it does; those are omitted from the free version.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ahhh, the old saying, "you only get what you pay for" <ha ha>
Thanks for the clarification.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wonder how worthwhile the experiment would be, since this is a compressed file on YouTube. What would recordings from the 60s have had for full frequency response even to start with?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have on occasion run several different stem-splitter applications in the hope of better results. This includes SMP (full version of course), Moises (free) and Ultamite Vocal Remover - UVR. In one case I did find that UVR gave me more favorable results for one of the tracks I was working one. Other than that one instance, I have concluded all these application, based on Spleeter code, are equivalent. None are Perfect if you really want to get the the note for note of any specific track. At the same time, all are miraculus at doing, what up till a decade ago was not even imaginable.

So I ran your "Fortunes" thru UVR - NO Bass track was extracted. The bass appeared in "the rest" with the rest. But are you telling me that no one has used the full paid version of SMP on this song?

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by DrDan
But are you telling me that no one has used the full paid version of SMP on this song?

Here is the first 32 bars illustrating all six stems. In regards to the bass, while it is not perfect, I am confident it is good enough for SMP (or melodyne) to render it to midi and than allow you to transfer the midi to Guitar Pro where it can be "cleaned up" and viewed as TAB. This is a quantum leap from a decade ago but if you can wait another decade it will separate each track perfectly and will use the stems to create a new song for you using the same notes and also send the notes to your bass so your bass will be playing along. grin But don't worry if you are not there, it will do it without you. cry
[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Last edited by DrDan; 10/10/24 07:59 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running one of these tools on the separated output of a previous run and typically does it improve, degrade or do nothing?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
AudioTrack, I do have the paid version.
What version do you have?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wonder how worthwhile the experiment would be, since this is a compressed file on YouTube. What would recordings from the 60s have had for full frequency response even to start with?
Wheather Compressed/Not Compressed or 60s/No 60s I don't understand your question.

It's a software test case and a relevant one.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Matt brings up an excellent point. Has anyone tried to use a full frequency song on any of those stem programs? I would suspect the end results would be different.

Yeah, I've got O.C.D, Old, Cranky, and Dangerous.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So I ran your "Fortunes" thru UVR - NO Bass track was extracted. The bass appeared in "the rest" with the rest. But are you telling me that no one has used the full paid version of SMP on this song?
Now here's a guy that's a "bird of a feather". Rather than just talk about the test case, he actually has done something physical with the test case.

As mentioned above, my results with SMP did produce a bass stem, but muddled and more troubling, a gaping hole was produced.

So my conclusion based on this datapoint is that SMP is superior to UVR on this test case . . . valuable info for sure.

I'm certain the folks that produce SMP and UVR are well aware of their limitations and probably hard at work to produce improvements, as well as everyone else in this business space.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd be more suspicious of the effects of psychoacoustic compression than of frequency response.
Even 60s half-decent recordings almost certainly had above 10kHz, likely 16kHz.
Grundig's 3-3/4ips recorders from the 50s claimed ~10kHz.

The very old 78rpm discs were typically significantly poorer, but by the 50s vinyl was taking over.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by MarioD
Matt brings up an excellent point. Has anyone tried to use a full frequency song on any of those stem programs? I would suspect the end results would be different.
I fail to see how Matt's point is excellent.
Are we to limit ourselves to only "modern" uncompressed songs???

My answer is "No"; I want a full-fledged, full-bodied stem separator. I'm not asking for perfection, but I am asking for acceptable quality.

A software team, somewhere will deliver on this. I know this because AI is powerful.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a quantum leap from a decade ago
Absolutely. Quantum leaps have been made and there is much more to come.
but if you can wait another decade it will separate each track perfectly and will use the stems to create a new song for you using the same notes and also send the notes to your bass so your bass will be playing along. grin But don't worry if you are not there, it will do it without you. cry
Some may have this as an end goal. But I'm going to modify a quote from Charlton Heston
"You can have my bass when you pry it from my cold dead hands"
No AI bot will being playing my bass.
smile
This is about obtaining the tab so I can learn the bassline that the original artist created.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My point is not intended to be excellent. Your test is reasonable. I am merely asking if the results might be different if we used a source file that didn’t start with the life already compressed out of it.

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Was watching an Intro to Studio One Version 7 video last night and it has a built in "stem separation" function that will extract individual parts from a stem. The discussion on this feature starts at about 9:00 on this video. The example includes a bass extraction.

FWIW, I'm on Studio One Version 5.5 and don't plan to update...

Last edited by DC Ron; 10/10/24 10:54 AM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My point is not intended to be excellent. Your test is reasonable. I am merely asking if the results might be different if we used a source file that didn’t start with the life already compressed out of it.
Matt, I have no idea if the results would be different or not. And I don't have the experience to know what to do if the results are different. I'm just searching for a full-bodied solution to this problem.

If you can propose an uncompressed song to serve as Test File #2, perfect. You could extract the bass stem from the compressed file (Test File #1, supplied above) and an uncompressed file (Test File #2), with your version of SMP. I don't know how to identify an uncompressed file or how to measure its level of "compressionness". So that would be a rabbit hole for me. The majority of songs I work with are YouTube videos converted to MP3 format. I know this is not ideal from an audio quality standpoint but the number of songs available is literally staggering.

But no matter what the results are, I (and thousands of others) will have to deal with compressed files in the real world.
Are you proposing that an added step of uncompressing compressed files would be required? Is that even possible? If so, the nature of that would need to be established so to maintain apples-apples comparisons.

PS> Shouldn't an AI trained on compressed files be able to handle compressed files?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Uncompressing a compressed file makes no improvement to the audio.

BIAB provides a utility to do exactly that with compressed WMA RealTracks, along with a caution not to expect any difference in audio quality. It did provide slightly faster operation in the early days of ReslTracks.

I asked about uncompressed files because I wonder if the absence of the original dynamic range, or the absence of the upper harmonics, make any difference in the algorithm’s ability to distinguish between, say, a guitar and a bass or a bass and a tuba.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Was watching an Intro to Studio One Version 7 video last night and it has a built in "stem separation" function that will extract individual parts from a stem. The discussion on this feature starts at about 9:00 on this video. The example includes a bass extraction.

FWIW, I'm on Studio One Version 5.5 and don't plan to update...
Yes, I see that ver 7 has built-in stem separation plus a busload of other improvements.
My experience with Presonus is that when releasing integer revisions they pack in a lot of goodies; I plan to upgrade.

But even if Studio One ver 7 doesn't solve this problem, my engineering instincts tell me someone will crack it. And shortly, with no restrictions regarding compressed files or tubas in the mix.

PS> Any tuba players out there, we love ya smile

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
Maybe a CD with the old song originally recorded with audio equipment and originally released on vinyl and later re-released on CD as it is i.e. without any remix etc, could be seen as the "uncompressed" version of an old song (but I don't know).

It could be ripped as a WAV file with Windows Media Player (legacy).
To make a compressed MP3 version to use as comparison maybe one could use Audacity and select a suitable compression level (unless already available on YT

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by shlind
Maybe a CD with the old song originally recorded with audio equipment and originally released on vinyl and later re-released on CD as it is i.e. without any remix etc, could be seen as the "uncompressed" version of an old song (but I don't know).

It could be ripped as a WAV file with Windows Media Player (legacy).
To make a compressed MP3 version to use as comparison maybe one could use Audacity and select a suitable compression level (unless already available on YT
All good ideas. Here's a thought:

If sufficient interest exists we could research and test this and related topics with the goal of producing practical "best practice" reports in PDF format with associated audio files. Based on how much we are all struggling here, I think I can guarantee that we'd all learn and grow. And perhaps in the bargain this could be the spark needed to extend this forum from being the center of the BiaB universe to a center for the much larger subject of audio processing and sound engineering.

If done right, it could be an attractant to techno-musicians in younger generations to this forum and hence BiaB. I'm not experienced enough to lead such an effort, but I'm not too shabby at documenting our results. There could be all kinds of subjects we could cover, subjects way beyond simply producing bass stems. Of course, we'd need smart, experienced, "worker bees" that are willing to stretch themselves.

I've been accused of "thinking too big" in the past, so if this idea is considered too grandiose for folks here, I get it.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW, I think that in the near future AI will not only be separating stems with frequency but also with tone. Thus it could separate an acoustic guitar from an electric guitar, a bass guitar from a tuba, etc.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
AudioTrack, I do have the paid version.
What version do you have?
Hey Steve, I certainly never suggested that you didn't have the full version. In fact, with your significant involvement, I would be surprised if you had mentioned otherwise.

I don't have any version. I've never had a requirement to use it. My input here was really only to think about solutions that might give improved results, hence the discussion about using AI.

I apologize if my 'tongue-in-cheek' comment was taken the wrong way about finding that a paid version of anything usually had more features. It was only a generalization that can be applied to many things, and certainly not directed at anyone here.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Try Ripx DAW ( Ripx DAW PRO ) - Ripx DAW PRO has extra -
means of cleaning recordings. Ripx DAW can separate stems into more than four tracks and has its own algorithm for this, which is different from Spleeter. He separates the drums into three feet. If the bass is mixed with the guitar, it can be returned from the guitar track to the bass track manually. Notes as blobs can be tapped to sound. Both types of Ripx can be tried for free for 21 days.
https://buy.hitnmix.com/

BIAB 2023,RB 2023,PTA 2023,Windows 11,Studio One PRO 5.52,Melodyne Studio 5.3.1,Sibelius 8.4.1,Acoustica 7.4.14,Notion 6,Progression 3,Harmony Assistant 9.9.5c,RX9,Ripx DeepAudio 6.4.0,Kontakt 6.8.0,DeCoda 1.3.0,Synthesizer V Studio Pro 1.90 a další.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW, I think that in the near future AI will not only be separating stems with frequency but also with tone. Thus it could separate an acoustic guitar from an electric guitar, a bass guitar from a tuba, etc.
I think the present software already does that to a very large extent, though perhaps not quite in those terms. I think it would be impossible to achieve the separation they're managing today without a good recognition of which bits of the total sound apply to which instruments. The envelopes will tell a lot, but certainly not everything.

If all instruments produced just harmonics of the fundamental, I suspect isolation would be relatively(!) easy, but when most instruments, including voice, produce overtones and sympathetic resonances, it must become very difficult to identify what sounds belong to which instrument. We've probably all heard times when a bass has causes a snare or cymbol to sound, similarly a piano with the dampers off.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I apologize if my 'tongue-in-cheek' comment was taken the wrong way about finding that a paid version of anything usually had more features. It was only a generalization that can be applied to many things, and certainly not directed at anyone here.
To be honest, I wasn't quite sure how to interpret what you were saying, and so we got our wires crossed a bit.

All is well my friend. Hopefully by the time this thread has run its course we've all learned at least something regarding separation of instruments in general, not just bass.

With AI unfolding before our eyes, we are truly living in exciting times; not all that different from when we first walked on the moon.

"That's one small step for neural networks and one giant leap for human capability"

smile

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
All good. I actually thought that must have been the case. Yes, AI is here to stay (like it or not), and unquestionably can bring about many improvements, and hopefully we will all continue to benefit from what it can deliver. Eventually though, to continue to evolve, AI will need to learn new things from, well, AI. That bit scares me crazy

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gause Zdenek
means of cleaning recordings. Ripx DAW can separate stems into more than four tracks and has its own algorithm for this, which is different from Spleeter. He separates the drums into three feet. If the bass is mixed with the guitar, it can be returned from the guitar track to the bass track manually. Notes as blobs can be tapped to sound. Both types of Ripx can be tried for free for 21 days.

Ya, I got that one - it is a beast of features. Not one of my favorite. But, I agree that this does appear to be a different type of algorihym - sems to have the Melodyne blobs. I tried it on our test case. There was NO sound on the bass track (first 32 bars below) . The bass was mixed in on the Kick Drum track. And I didn't and wouldn't even try to adjust anything manually.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gause Zdenek

Ya, I got that one - it is a beast of features. Not one of my favorite. But, I agree that this does appear to be a different type of algorihym - sems to have the Melodyne blobs. I tried it on our test case. There was NO sound on the bass track (first 32 bars below) .
Many thanks Dan, you're saving folks like me from wasting time with software that doesn't perform.

Gause Zdenek, did you try RipX on our test case?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eventually though, to continue to evolve, AI will need to learn new things from, well, AI. That bit scares me crazy
Why scared?
If an AI was trained by an AI and the result was a highly effective program to separate bass . . . I'm good.

Where I become concerned is if/when it becomes sentient.
In my mind, sentience implies life; artificial life perhaps, but still life.
And we know 2 important things about life; it fights to survive and it fights to reproduce . . . I don't think we want a "HAL" on our hands.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sorry, but I haven't tried your test example, just trying to advise that Ripx is mostly sufficient for my needs as far as tools go. With my voice - bass position - under C2 I have a problem with Ripx, but also with Melodyne. But with Ripx it shows me two tones instead of one and they are higher. A note sounds at the correct pitch if both are sounded at the same time. If I mute one of them, it sounds at the pitch it is displayed at. I know the reason, because I sing under D2 (I can't do it otherwise) with the "Growl" technique and it is not continuous, like the bass tone (the one is continuous). These "Growl" tones could be replaced by perhaps a Tuba. I'll let here the "Growl" technique sound from professional Eric Hollaway (ThatBassVoice), I'm just only an amateur at the singing level. I have not tested this song on Ripx. Sorry for getting off topic. Here is the link:

Last edited by Gause Zdenek; 10/11/24 09:56 AM.

BIAB 2023,RB 2023,PTA 2023,Windows 11,Studio One PRO 5.52,Melodyne Studio 5.3.1,Sibelius 8.4.1,Acoustica 7.4.14,Notion 6,Progression 3,Harmony Assistant 9.9.5c,RX9,Ripx DeepAudio 6.4.0,Kontakt 6.8.0,DeCoda 1.3.0,Synthesizer V Studio Pro 1.90 a další.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well gentlemen (and any ladies watching), I think we have success!

I upgraded to Studio One ver 7 and asked it to separate the bass on the above song by The Fortunes. This test-case is no mamby-pamby test case, it’s a stress-test; intentionally chosen for the low-end brass in contains. We might call it a “tuba test”.

There is so much that can be said here. The software team at Presonas knocked this out of the park. It isn’t perfect but is definitely something musicians can work with. I hear no brass, the bass that is retained makes melodic and rhythmic sense to me, there are no erroneous gaps and I can even hear the slides that he’s doing on his neck.

I exported this out in WAV format but that’s a moot point because SoundCloud will certainly step on it in its processing. FWIW, I hear no meaningful difference between the original WAV and what is up on SoundCloud.

I’d be interested in the perspectives of any audiophiles or bass players. To me, it sounds like he’s using a pick, which maybe he is on the original recording or maybe it’s an artifact of the separation process. There also seems to be a bunch of reverb present and it's a bit wobbly. But these are nits, it extracted a usable bass line from within a cloud of other instruments competing in the same frequency range and that just blows me away.

Note that Presonas’ solution didn’t care one bit about this being a 60s song or that it was compressed to keep the YouTube people happy. Most likely they trained it on “messy”, compressed, real-world training sets and that, in part, is why it works. If I were on the team, that's what I would push for; train on the lowest common denominator.

This thread is titled "State-of-the-art Stem Separation for Bass", based on one attempt with Studion One and imho, Presonas has achieved the state-of the-art and I'm guessing they're hard at work on 7.1 and beyond.

Very cool stuff!

Separated Bass Stem

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
Yes,
it seems to be a significant improvement.
I just loaded the YT mp3 version into SMP and extracted the bass stem and compared it with your SOP7 version on SC (above).
It is a significant improvement for the bass stem of that song.
It would be interesting to know how the other stems are.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I’m glad to read this result. I just installed Studio One Pro 7 but I haven’t had time to conduct any experiments for this thread. [ I’m immersed in writing Christmas concert music. ]

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Congratulations, this is a great effort. If Studio one can do it, others will follow for us non-Studio One users. I just sent a note to our SMP support guys asking if future work is planned liked this.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Congratulations, this is a great effort. If Studio one can do it, others will follow for us non-Studio One users. I just sent a note to our SMP support guys asking if future work is planned liked this.
Certainly no congrats are owed to me, I'm just a Joe-user. But I'm guessing they're popping champagne bottles at PreSonus over this release.

If I put my project manager business hat on, I'd be thinking about selling/leasing their stem separation code to people like RipX, SongMaster and DAWs that haven't yet matured this technology. But only their middle-shelf version; you never want to share your top-shelf stuff. It could be a meaningful revenue stream if done right.

I also like to think about and find info on what degree they collaborated with other entities to achieve this. I haven't found any press releases but my AI assistant says this:
PreSonus has a history of both in-house development and collaboration with external partners for various projects. While specific details about the development of the stem separation feature in Studio One 7 haven’t been publicly disclosed, it’s common in the industry to leverage both internal expertise and external collaborations to achieve complex technological advancements.

My guess is that they worked with at least a University, AI consulting firm, or a heavyweitght like Microsoft or OpenAI. It would seem to be a lengthy, expensive project to grow the required AI talent in-house. Kudos to PG if they collaborated with PreSonus, as David has said they are well positioned to do.

If anyone finds info on this, do share.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just did a fast test of a song I’m working with, comparing stem separation in Studio One Pro (7) and Song Master Pro.

The bass sounds much better - fuller - in Studio One. In Song Master Pro it is more like a ghost of a track.

I have not yet found the way in Studio One to capture this bass track as MIDI, which I can do in Song Master Pro. If it exists, I haven’t found it in the Help.

There is also an advantage in Song Master Pro in being able to separate the piano and guitar, which are combined in a track called Other in Studio One.

In case anyone is interested, since it’s related to transcribing songs, Studio One’s chord track does not recognize any chord upper extensions. By this I mean above the original octave, or any step of 9 or higher, including any alteration such as a b9 or #9. Song Master Pro gets many wrong but at least it tries.

If these functions are improved in the future Studio One could become my one go-to program for transcribing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I got a bit of feedback on this topic from SMP support which I think is very insightful. I am sure John would not mind me sharing with the forum. I for one will keep an eye on SMP and look forward to what John will be able to do for us in the future.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention--it's always useful to get feedback (good and bad) on our program.

To clarify, when we first released Song Master several years ago our stem separation was based on Spleeter, however, last year we greatly improved the quality of separation with a brand new algorithm. We trained our algorithm on high-resolution audio sources so I'm not entirely surprised that we didn't cleanly separate the bass from the lower quality YouTube audio. These things can be a bit finicky and work great on some tracks and not so good on others and greatly depend on the audio tracks they're trained on.

I wouldn't base the quality of a stem separator based on the quality of just one instrument on one track. I noticed that Studio One's separator is a four-track separator. Four stems are the sweet spot for separators because each stem has unique properties/signatures. For example, percussion instruments splash frequencies across the entire spectrum, vocals have formants that help to make them stand out, bass is usually monophonic and only has to share the frequency spectrum with the kick drum. Untangling the mass of frequencies produced by other instruments is challenging. We did notice some degradation in stem quality for bass, drums, and vocals when we added support for piano and guitar. Synths are particularly messy to handle and when present can really affect the stem quality.

Stem separation is still very much in the early stages of technology development and will continue to get better over time.

Best,
John Schnurrenberger
Aurally Sound

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan, thanks for sharing, and that makes sense. I wonder if they could add an option to separate guitar and piano as it is now, or add those sounds to The Rest for superior quality of the other four tracks.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just did a fast test of a song I’m working with, comparing stem separation in Studio One Pro (7) and Song Master Pro.
I have not yet found the way in Studio One to capture this bass track as MIDI, which I can do in Song Master Pro. If it exists, I haven’t found it in the Help
Good job Matt, this is where (I think) I need to go next; to push the Studio One separated bass track into MIDI and then push the MIDI file into tab.

These pieces are slowly falling into place, which is very neat.

I would imagine that 6-string guitarists would also be interested in this becaues like the bass, there are several places on the fretboard you can play the same (or similar) note. But only one way that is optimized of ease and speed.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
It was good to read such a candid review of their application by the product developers. Unquestionably, there are many challenges presented, and it's always beneficial to learn what goes on 'under the hood'. It gives us a better understanding of why some results are the way they are.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
For those that may not have noticed, Dan is quite plugged-in and willing to share what he learns, thanks Dan.
Two things jump out to me:
We trained our algorithm on high-resolution audio sources so I'm not entirely surprised that we didn't cleanly separate the bass from the lower quality YouTube audio.
This I addressed earlier when I said I believe that PreSonus chose [wisely] to train on "messy", real-world compressed files, the lowest common denominator.

Stem separation is still very much in the early stages of technology development and will continue to get better over time.
This is absolutely true.
Kudos to Mr. Schnurrenberger for being open, I certainly wish him and his team the best with their product.
Dan, if you think it helpful, feel free to share my SoundCloud bass stem separated with Studio One with him.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I’m glad you picked up on that, since he is saying there is a difference in the results based on the quality of the audio source as I had suspected. Perhaps the next step as I mentioned is to have options to configure these programs for audiophile input versus commercially squashed input. And such an option would cater to two very different uses of this software.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hmmm, I see different modes of thinking/needs on this (which is why forums can be effective) and 3 possibilities:
1. A prompt for the user to specify whether the audio file is of high or low quality
2. Two entirely separate programs, one for low quality files and another for high
3. No prompts needed because the AI can handle any quality input (I've been foccused on this one)

Options 1 and 2 would require the training of two distinct AI models, but all 3 would have pros and cons.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C

I wouldn't base the quality of a stem separator based on the quality of just one instrument on one track.

Wise words...

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

The bass sounds much better - fuller - in Studio One. In Song Master Pro it is more like a ghost of a track.

I have not yet found the way in Studio One to capture this bass track as MIDI, which I can do in Song Master Pro. If it exists, I haven’t found it in the Help.
Matt one way you can do this is select the bass track and choose edit with Melodyne. From melodyne file menu select save as midi file. Then just load the midi file into a track.
I have not upgraded to Version 7 yet so I have not had a play around with it yet

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Brian. Yes, that would work. I was hoping Studio One Pro 7 might have the ability to export MIDI from stems built-in, as Song Master Pro does.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks Brian. Yes, that would work. I was hoping Studio One Pro 7 might have the ability to export MIDI from stems built-in, as Song Master Pro does.
If you have Toontrack's EZBass, click on the Audio Tracker tab and drop the monophonic bass stem into the box on that screen, and EZBass will create a MIDI file for the audio stem.

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert

Matt one way you can do this is select the bass track and choose edit with Melodyne. From melodyne file menu select save as midi file. Then just load the midi file into a track.
I have not upgraded to Version 7 yet so I have not had a play around with it yet

Another way to do this is to edit the audio track with Melodyne (Ctl-M) and then drag and drop the audio track onto an instrument (ie, MIDI) track. It's pretty slick...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
You are correct Ron, I used to do it that way as well and forgot for some reason. Old age is sinking in!!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for these great suggestions. I know BIAB pretty well, but thirty-plus years of using a hardware MIDI synth has put me behind many of you who are skilled in software synths and related tools.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Cerio

I wouldn't base the quality of a stem separator based on the quality of just one instrument on one track.

Wise words...
I now have a 2nd datapoint.
I extracted my own bass line from my most recent composition Down Periscope

Several months ago, I originally recorded this bass in Studio One in ver 6.something, and I used a version of my mix that contained no compression. I consider this another tuba test because it contains low frequency submarine rumblings. It did incorrectly extract those rumbles but it also extracted my bass clearly enough to easily percieve the melody, tone and rhythm of my playing; including some timing flubs on my part eek

Of course anything is possible with AI models including hallucinations. But AI researchers are making big strides in solving the hallucination problem. The proof is always in the pudding and the pudding is saying PreSonus and their partners hit a home run and I'm expecting further improvements yet before ver 8 arrives.

If anyone is able to cause this stem separator to clearly fail, do share your results.

On a separate note, I was quite proud of myself in being able to capture in a 2 page, 16 step process how to create tempo maps in S1 based on a Gregor YouTube . . . another solid piece of PreSonus software engineering in its own right. From what I can glean so far, this lengthy process has been reduced to a few mouse clicks in ver 7.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C

Wise words...

Just to clarify, I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe you're right (and Presonus algorithm is the best one currently availiable for bass), maybe not, I really have no idea.
What I want to point out is that drawing such a general conclusion from such a particular case makes little or no sense to me. If someone really wants to compare the different algorithms available on the market to figure out which oneis ‘the best’ for bass, then it would be necessary to compare not one or two examples, but a large number of them, with different audio qualities, different mix qualities, from different eras, different compression ratios, different styles of playing, different bass sounds and techniques, different panning, etc. And of course, if this job is going to be made by different people, the test files must be identical for all of them; posting a youtube link and expecting that everybody else will download the same mp3 with the same quality from that link is probably not a realistic idea.

Bearing in mind that (as far as I know) the vast majority of available algorithms actually use the same common code (derived from the Open Source Spleeter -or, in some cases Demucs-) and differ from each other basically in terms of the amount and quality of material they have been trained with, the result of such an experiment would probably be that there is no ‘best’ algorithm in a broad sense. Some of them would simply work better in some cases than others, and viceversa.

It seems common sense to me that an AI trained mainly with classic jazz material will do a better job separating Paul Chambers' double bass line ion "So What" than another AI trained mainly with 70s funk. I think that the next generation of stem separation programs will allow the user to choose between different trained models, depending on the starting material.

Last edited by Cerio; 10/13/24 12:42 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

Wise words...

Several months ago, I originally recorded this bass in Studio One in ver 6.something, and I used a version of my mix that contained no compression. I consider this another tuba test because it contains low frequency submarine rumblings. It did incorrectly extract those rumbles but it also extracted my bass clearly enough to easily percieve the melody, tone and rhythm of my playing; including some timing flubs on my part eek

Of course anything is possible with AI models including hallucinations. But AI researchers are making big strides in solving the hallucination problem. The proof is always in the pudding and the pudding is saying PreSonus and their partners hit a home run and I'm expecting further improvements yet before ver 8 arrives.

If anyone is able to cause this stem separator to clearly fail, do share your results.

On a separate note, I was quite proud of myself in being able to capture in a 2 page, 16 step process how to create tempo maps in S1 based on a Gregor YouTube . . . another solid piece of PreSonus software engineering in its own right. From what I can glean so far, this lengthy process has been reduced to a few mouse clicks in ver 7.

Studio One 7 has a brand new tempo map detection that is so much easier than before. You are sure to like it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just to clarify, I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe you're right (and Presonus algorithm is the best one currently availiable for bass), maybe not, I really have no idea.
What I want to point out is that drawing such a general conclusion from such a particular case makes little or no sense to me. If someone really wants to compare the different algorithms available on the market to figure out which oneis ‘the best’ for bass, then it would be necessary to compare not one or two examples, but a large number of them, with different audio qualities, different mix qualities, from different eras, different compression ratios, different styles of playing, different bass sounds and techniques, different panning, etc. And of course, if this job is going to be made by different people, the test files must be identical for all of them; posting a youtube link and expecting that everybody else will download the same mp3 with the same quality from that link is probably not a realistic idea.

Bearing in mind that (as far as I know) the vast majority of available algorithms actually use the same common code (derived from the Open Source Spleeter -or, in some cases Demucs-) and differ from each other basically in terms of the amount and quality of material they have been trained with, the result of such an experiment would probably be that there is no ‘best’ algorithm in a broad sense. Some of them would simply work better in some cases than others, and viceversa.

It seems common sense to me that an AI trained mainly with classic jazz material will do a better job separating Paul Chambers' double bass line ion "So What" than another AI trained mainly with 70s funk. I think that the next generation of stem separation programs will allow the user to choose between different trained models, depending on the starting material.

Cerio, I have no time or desire to do the exhaustive investigation work that you propose. The two conclusions that I am drawing are as follows:

1. Studio One Pro ver 7 has produced a state-of-the-art stem separation capability for bass that is second to none. I now have a wonderful new tool in my toolbox that meets my needs in this regard.

2. No one on this forum has demonstrated a program that has a bass stem separation capability superior to that of Studio One Pro ver 7.

Because of these conclusions I'm moving on to other things.

However, I encourage you to personally perform the very comparison work that you propose. I’ve given you a head start on this with a list of programs at the top of this thread. I’ve even given you a good “tuba test case” that you can use for part of your comparison work. I also encourage you to share your results and conclusions here on the forum. And if at the end of your study you find that your conclusions differ from mine, great. Learning something new is good.

My instincts rarely fail me and they are telling me that you will decline to do this work.
My hope is that you can prove my instincts wrong.

PS> A spreadsheet may be a good way to organize your results.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
[quote=Cerio]
However, I encourage you to personally perform the very comparison work that you propose. I’ve given you a head start on this with a list of programs at the top of this thread. I’ve even given you a good “tuba test case” that you can use for part of your comparison work. I also encourage you to share your results and conclusions here on the forum. And if at the end of your study you find that your conclusions differ from mine, great. Learning something new is good.

My instincts rarely fail me and they are telling me that you will decline to do this work.
My hope is that you can prove my instincts wrong.

Yes you're right, I won't do that job, mainly because I don't really have time / need to, but also because my instincts (which rarely fail me either) are telling me the result of such an experiment wouldn't be too far from what I've just described above, for the reasons given above.

Having said that, I've also made some tests in the past comparing these kind of tools, here's just an example:

IMO, you can hear some differences between those three programs in that particular case, but as I said before, a test based in a single use case, while interesting and useful, is simply not enough to draw any serious conclusion about the quality in general of these tools.

Last edited by Cerio; 10/13/24 08:27 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It’s way too early in this game to draw conclusions. Let’s revisit this after a few months of working with these programs.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It’s way too early in this game to draw conclusions. Let’s revisit this after a few months of working with these programs.
I disagree.

Think of conclusions like weather forecasts. Just as meteorologists make predictions based on current data, our conclusions are based on the information available at the time. However, as new data comes in, the forecast can change. Similarly, as we gather more information about software tools or as circumstances evolve, our conclusions may need to be updated; and often are.

At one point in my musical journey I concluded that Audacity would be my final DAW; then I concluded Reaper would be, then a friend introduced me to Studio One and my conclusion changed once again. It's a process of learning and growth.

This also appears in the animal kingdom. Ever watch a lioness or cheetah stalk a gazelle? She's updating her conclusions continually as she processes her inputs. The process is fascinating to watch smile

It's never to early to draw conclusions, and often never too late to change them.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
So if a conclusion was reached now, what would it be?

(This is not in any way meant to be challenging, I really don't know, as I have not used any of the programs, but if a conclusion needed to be reached now, I would be keen to know what it would be. This thread has enjoyed significant input and much interest.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, using that line of thinking, I have made a preliminary conclusion that I cannot yet conclude one program is better than the other when comparing stem separation of Studio One Pro (7) and Song Master Pro. Was that helpful?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll go one step farther and say which stem program works best depends on your goal. This thread is based on stem separation for bass and IMHO that is not the main goal for a single sound separation for many people. Separating the vocal I would surmise is the main goal for many and the free Ultimate Vocal Remover does an excellent job on that task.
YMMV

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
It has been mentioned: "our conclusions are based on the information available at the time. "
I unfortunately don't have one to offer, as I haven't used these applications. But I've followed this thread with interest and I'm intrigued to know what the O/P's conclusions are at this point in time. Inquiring minds need to know smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Separating the vocal I would surmise is the main goal for many and the free Ultimate Vocal Remover does an excellent job on that task. YMMV

Not only do I agree, I will add that its free! grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So if a conclusion was reached now, what would it be?
AudioTrack, this is easy. I gave 2 conclusions in my response to Cerio.

But two (obvious to me) points need to be made
1. These are my conclusions based on the evidence I observe, to be sure, others will draw their own conclusions. My conclusions may not be your conclusions.
2. Most conclusions are temporary and subject to be updated as conditions change, be it wind direction for the lioness, and unforeseen high pressure system for the weather man or a new software company that comes on the scene.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ok, using that line of thinking, I have made a preliminary conclusion that I cannot yet conclude one program is better than the other when comparing stem separation of Studio One Pro (7) and Song Master Pro. Was that helpful?
Matt, you are certainly entitled to draw that conclusion or any other that you deem appropriate.

For me, I don't have the luxury of time to be indecisive. Based on the evidence I have observed, my conclusions are different than yours.
That is, S1 is top shelf and other stem separation tools will waste my time in comparison, or I have no need to research other tools. If this changes in the future . . . great!

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Separating the vocal I would surmise is the main goal for many and the free Ultimate Vocal Remover does an excellent job on that task. YMMV

Not only do I agree, I will add that its free! grin

More power to you.
Right now I have no need to separate vocals, this thread was intended to explore bass separation.

PS> S1 may also be strong in separating vocals but I have no such observation.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt, you are certainly entitled to draw that conclusion or any other that you deem appropriate.

For me, I don't have the luxury of time to be indecisive. Based on the evidence I have observed, my conclusions are different than yours.
That is, S1 is top shelf and other stem separation tools will waste my time in comparison, or I have no need to research other tools. If this changes in the future . . . great!
As I wrote, my preliminary test gave better results for bass with Studio One Pro. I have other uses for stem separation and have a need for the six-track separation of Song Master Pro. I will continue to test both tools.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I will continue to test both tools.
Great! And I hope you report your results so we can all continue to learn. We are talking about and ever-changing landscape and the wind doesn't always blow in the direction the lioness wants wink

As for SongMaster Pro, the performance I got from it, as I mentioned, was pitiful. You can't expect glowing customer reviews if a product produces gaping holes in the seperated bass stem, even if the source audio is compressed. I've worked on software product development and you have to do your requisite homework to be successful as determined by the marketplace.

The good news is that Mr. Schnurrenberger and his team appear to be motivated and engaged, which is precisely why I asked Dan to consider forwarding a link to my SoundCloud file for him to observe my result using S1. Negative (but honest feedback) is a valuable commodity indeed.

But better yet, Mr. Schnurrenberger could join this forum and observe feedback on SMP first hand . . . that's what I would do.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It’s not just Dan. I had a nice dialog with the developer and requested a tempo map function, which was added.

Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
As for SongMaster Pro, the performance I got from it, as I mentioned, was pitiful. You can't expect glowing customer reviews if a product produces gaping holes in the seperated bass stem, even if the source audio is compressed. I've worked on software product development and you have to do your requisite homework to be successful as determined by the marketplace.

This is not a fair statement. I don't have Studio One 7 to test, but I'm 300% sure that it will also fail to separate bass (or any other track) sooner or later, just like any other similar program in the market. Try maybe a 1940s old jazz tune, a Cuban song recorded with a baby bass, a funky song mixing lots of slap bass notes with fingerstyle, an 80s tune with a doubled synth bass, or maybe a 60s song with a tic-tac bass line extremely panned to the right (let alone flamenco, modern Indian / African music and other world music styles) and you'll probably see by yourself.

Would you say then that Studio One performance is pitful? You shouldn't, at this stage of development, this is simply how these algorithms work, they have been trained on certain types of material and they are designed to work well in most cases, but they cannot be expected to work perfectly well in any possible scenario.

Last edited by Cerio; 10/15/24 03:09 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It’s not just Dan. I had a nice dialog with the developer and requested a tempo map function, which was added.
Here is a screenshot of page 1 of the process I captured for doing this in S1. Kudos to Gregor and his "PreSonus Starship". Capturing this in written form was a worthwhile exercize. It allowed me to tempo-map several songs, gave me a good appreciation of the programming progress made in this area and it was another opportunity to keep my wetware nice and wet.

As it turns out, I've been asked to give a talk on one example of the intersection of AI and music. My initial conclusion was to talk about the appendix in the White Paper. But now I have an even better subject; AI-enabled bass separation using S1. Now I need to down-select and buy a laptop that is Win11 ready.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 66.jpg (123.35 KB, 144 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is not a fair statement. I don't have Studio One 7 to test . . .
It's entirely fair to express my opinion based on my test results. Rather than state that you don't have Studio One 7, why don't you purchase it for yourself? That way you could post and report your results including how it compares to SMP.

Would you say then that Studio One performance is pitful? You shouldn't, at this stage of development, this is simply how these algorithms work, they have been trained on certain types of material and they are designed to work well in most cases, but they cannot be expected to work perfectly well in any possible scenario.
S1 has not reached perfection but if it produced unacceptable results and didn't meet my needs I would so state. The quality of the algorithms are proportional to the quantity and quality of the data used to train them.
Make no mistake and don't cross-confuse my dissapointment with one aspect of SMP with my view of the program in general. I actually like most of SMP. The GUI is clean, it does a good job in identifying chords, it has a small footprint and I like how it detects and displays tempo as it progresses thru the song.

Their programmers however, in my opinion need improve its performance on audio like You've Got Your Troubles converted from a YouTube; probably by training on lower resolution, compressed audio. It could be said that relative to online tools that YouTube may be second only to email in usage. That makes YouTube pretty important; so important that this very forum has a Best of YouTube sub-forum. I'm interested in a full-bodied seperator, not one limited to high resolution, uncompressed files, and I've found one.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Here is a screenshot of page 1 of the process I captured for doing this in S1. Kudos to Gregor and his "PreSonus Starship". Capturing this in written form was a worthwhile exercize. It allowed me to tempo-map several songs, gave me a good appreciation of the programming progress made in this area and it was another opportunity to keep my wetware nice and wet.

As it turns out, I've been asked to give a talk on one example of the intersection of AI and music. My initial conclusion was to talk about the appendix in the White Paper. But now I have an even better subject; AI-enabled bass separation using S1. Now I need to down-select and buy a laptop that is Win11 ready.

In V7 you don't need to go into all those steps to create a tempo map no more or use Melodyne. You simply right click on the track that you want to create the tempo map and select create tempo map. Then just drag that track to the temp track and you are done.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In V7 you don't need to go into all those steps to create a tempo map no more or use Melodyne. You simply right click on the track that you want to create the tempo map and select create tempo map. Then just drag that track to the temp track and you are done.

Yes and that is the main reason I purchased V7. On a couple of tests that I ran the results are more accurate than Melodyne. This is a big plus for me when BobH and I jam without a click track.

{Edit} plus it is faster and easier to use than Melodyne.

Last edited by MarioD; 10/16/24 05:26 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, I'm aware of this improvement in V7 but haven't tried it yet.
Needless to say, I'm impressed with the engineering, programming and management at PreSonus; a well-run, customer-focused company.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that they acquired a well known competitor.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, for your talk on AI powered bass track separation, have you found any research that explains anything about how AI is being used by Studio One Pro 7 when no other stem separation programs mention AI? I realize that Presonus isn’t going to publish trade secrets, but I found one review who said the Zplane plugin gave the same results.

I’m not disputing that stem separation in Studio One works pretty well for me so far, but marketing companies are putting ‘AI’ in so many product descriptions now with no details, just because it sounds cool. How is this not just a good computer algorithm doing what it is programmed to do? What is it choosing to do that makes it simulate being intelligent?

By the way, I’m a beta tester for the notation program Notion, which is also a Presonus product. Presonus was bought by Fender. In some areas this resulted in amazing developments, including improvements to Notion Mobile that is free and runs on most platforms. Notion 6 for desktop use however is quite stalled and in my opinion overdue for attention. It works great but we are ready for the next version. Who knows, maybe Notion 7 “now with AI” will do wonders. For example, maybe it could look at my four trombone parts and tell me how I could voice them better. Now that would be intelligent.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Steve, for your talk on AI powered bass track separation, have you found any research that explains anything about how AI is being used by Studio One Pro 7 when no other stem separation programs mention AI? I realize that Presonus isn’t going to publish trade secrets, but I found one review who said the Zplane plugin gave the same results.
No, I haven’t found any info regarding how S1 does its stem separation; and I’ve done some looking. As you point out, this is a highly competitive domain with guarded trade secrets. In my mind, as I’ve mentioned before, the companies that will be successful will be those that have the foresight to engage with strong partners in the field. Developing this technical expertise in-house is all well and good until you find how long it can take. But collaborating with SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) doesn’t come cheap either, unless you can find a few 20-something grad students to join the team that are well connected to the IEEE Signal Processing Society or similar technical organization.

I’m not disputing that stem separation in Studio One works pretty well for me so far, but marketing companies are putting ‘AI’ in so many product descriptions now with no details, just because it sounds cool. How is this not just a good computer algorithm doing what it is programmed to do? What is it choosing to do that makes it simulate being intelligent?
This is a BIG question but for starters it’s about the number of parameters in your model. I’m hearing some good things about Banquet. This model has over 24 million parameters and is described as stem-agnostic as opposed to the 4 stem VDBO (Vocals, Drums, Bass, Other) that most separation models are limited to. I’m also hearing about better SNR performances compared to say, Spleeter.

Who knows, maybe Notion 7 “now with AI” will do wonders. For example, maybe it could look at my four trombone parts and tell me how I could voice them better. Now that would be intelligent.
This would be sweet with a capital S.
It “just” takes good model development.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 67.jpg (30.72 KB, 71 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

Yes and that is the main reason I purchased V7. On a couple of tests that I ran the results are more accurate than Melodyne. This is a big plus for me when BobH and I jam without a click track.

{Edit} plus it is faster and easier to use than Melodyne.

Amen to that Mario. One of the main reasons for me as well. I already have stem separation with Rip X DAW which also separates the piano. I have not compared the two of them. I also like the new global transpose feature.
This is a quote from Presonus about stem separation. "Stem Separation as a technology is still in its infancy, so further performance/quality improvements and feature additions are planned in the near future."

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In theory, if something is learnable, AI will eventually find a method of learning it.

For the purposes of AI training, audio needs to be converted into something that computers can deal with. That's typically FFT, which then is split into frequency bands to better simulate human hearing.

Audio compression also takes psychoacoustics into account, deciding which frequencies in the audio you aren't likely miss because they're being masked by other frequencies, and discarding those frequencies so there's less information to encode. Because transients require more information to encode, they are also often simplified. High frequencies may be replaced by bands of noise.

So there is certainly a loss of information by the encoding process.

But I also suspect that there's a lot of audio information from the bass that's hard to pull out of the audio because it's simply not there - especially in cases where the bass and kick drum are locked together.

If that's the case, getting "missing" audio data and filling in holes is a matter of extrapolation for the neural network.

We do that all the time, and we often get it wrong.

I suspect there's a fine line between a neural network successfully guessing what a partially masked bass line might be, and it hallucinating a statistically probable but incorrect bass line.

That may be the reason why the quality has only progressed to where it currently is - it's better to be incomplete but accurate, than more complete, but wrong.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
J
J

Last edited by jarredou; Yesterday at 08:49 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David, that is very well stated and matches my concerns exactly. I don’t want a computer guessing what the notes are, or worse yet, what they ‘should’ be. This is why I’ve been asking what exactly is the ‘intelligence’ trying to do for us.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by dcuny
In theory, if something is learnable, AI will eventually find a method of learning it.

For the purposes of AI training, audio needs to be converted into something that computers can deal with. That's typically FFT, which then is split into frequency bands to better simulate human hearing.

If that's the case, getting "missing" audio data and filling in holes is a matter of extrapolation for the neural network.
Who can deny that David always brings intelligent perspectives to any AI discussion?

The way that I understand "if something is learnable, AI will eventually find a method of learning it" is that human areas of study can be broken down into "languages". Be they formal languages like English, French, Fortran, music and math. Or areas of study like chemistry, physics, biology or engineering. Because the info and data of these languages can be encoded within the architecture and parameters of a neural net, an AI can learn it. Indeed, we all carry neural nets in our heads, of the biologic kind.

It's funny you mention FFT, in "another life" I actually programmed an FFT analyzer from scratch in Mathematica to process captured accelerometer data from a flight test I participated in over the Pacific Ocean at 37,000 ft. in a Boeing test aircraft. The final result was a set of broadband random vibration profiles that we could then run in our test lab . . . one of the most fun projects I ever participated in.

My idea for capturing the missing audio data (if even required) is to utilize a separate AI, perhaps one that uses more of an LLM approach. But so far, based on my very limited test cases, Studio One ver 7, doesn't seem to suffer with the "missing audio data phenomenon". But, who knows how well it will perform with music of higher complexity like that of Snarky Puppy and similar.

Attached is one slide of the slide-deck I'm working on. One point of this slide is to compare the 13,002 parameters of my simple example to the 24+ million parameters of Banquet to that of ChatGPT-4 where I've seen reported values of 1.8 trillion.

Screenshot 68.jpg (69.66 KB, 39 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Now that’s a great idea, using a Snarky Puppy track (hopefully not squashed). Their music has it all: great dynamic range, unexpected chords, sudden transitions etc. I played a song of theirs in a college concert where they brought me in to supplement the college music students. They ate that stuff up, and I struggled to keep up with the complexity, but I loved playing it.

Off-Topic
J
J
CENSORED BY ADMIN.
KNOWLEDGE IS NOT WELCOME HERE.

Last edited by jarredou; Yesterday at 08:51 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,989
Posts752,084
Members38,962
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jani S., mblaide, CelRiq, Robstrings, motet1
38,962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 141