Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Excited, just got my upgrade 2024 on thumb drive of BIAB from 2019 (!).
I want to make sure I don't screw up the installation.
I have a laptop and PC, both with limited drive space (all Windoze 10)
Can I install with the thumb drive all of BIAB on an external SSD drive and then
be able to move the drive back and forth between the PC and the laptop
and it will play just fine ?
I realize (I think) I can install natively on up to 3 (?) computers.
But I'd rather have BIAB reside on my external drive and just move it
between PC and laptop.
Is this possible ? Any gotchas ?

Best,
Newbie Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

You are correct, PG Music do give users 3 installations.

In relation to running BIAB from and external SSD, that would work fine. There is a catch, though. You need to install the minimum installation of BIAB on both computers. This is because programs and drivers need to be added to Windows for BIAB to run properly. The minimum installation is Option 1 and you need to choose this at the appropriate time during the installation process.

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box© directly from this USB hard drive --- Minimal disk space required. This will install and register the PG Music Notation Fonts, along with a few other things such as VST plugins that need to be installed on your computer hard drive to function properly. This option will not install Band-in-a-Box©, RealBand, or RealTracks on your computer hard drive. You can use the programs as they are, pre-installed on the USB drive.

The usual upgrade process is to install the latest version of BIAB (in your case, 2024) over your existing version of the program (2019). This will keep all your song files, etc., intact and you won't lose anything that you've created in the BIAB 2019. If you are happy to create a brand new installation of the program on the solid state drive, that is straightforward and you won't need to install over the top of BIAB 2019. On the other hand, if you want install keep your 2019 version of BIAB and install over the top of it, it would be necessary to copy BIAB 2019 to the SSD first and then install over the top of it.

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
The only thing I can add to Noel’s excellent answer is that when you are done with your new install, you can Deactivate the license on your existing computer, so you don’t ‘lose’ one of your three activations. Or, keep it activated and move your USB drive between computers whenever you wish.

For future reference, if you have a hard drive that dies before you can deactivate, just call PG Music and explain. Plus, every year when you upgrade you get three new activations for that new version. All in all, it’s very fair.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
After checking I misspoke but I still have a hot mess to a newbie.
I have 3 possible locations for my new BIAB 2024 on my thumb drive purchase:
PC 1- Has BIAB 2019 AND an "Everything Pak" hard drive which is where the BIAB 2019 resides and with plenty of extra hard drive space
Windows Laptop with no BIAB and plenty of space on C:
PC 2- Has Wiindows 2014 and plenty of hard drive space.
"My Products" shows a "Pro Upgrade with Real Band" 2019 but oddly not my "Everything Pak" hard drive.

Should I just do a full 2024 install on all 3 PCs from my 2024 BIAB thumdrive and be done with it ?

One thing troubling me is whether the stuff on the Everything Pak will be seen if I do a full install on the PC1 and how I get the laptop and PC2 to see
what's on the "Everything Pak".

The "Everything Pak" has files entitled "Drums", "Real Tracks", "Styles", "Styles 3", "Songs", "Soloists" etc. Are these included in the
2024 thumb drive such that I don't have to worry what's in the "Everything Pak" hard drive when I do a full install from my thumb drive to all 3 PCs ?

(Even though I have BIAB 2014 I still consider myself a "Newb" because I am only recently jumping into the BIAB party and just haven't used it
up until now. So any help is MUCH appreciated).

Many thanks for your help.

Bob

Product Manager
Product Manager
In this case Bob is talking about a Pro install from flash drive, not an Ultra from a hard drive/SSD.

As Noel mentioned, you should run the installer on each computer, as the fonts and plugins need to be on your system storage, however it's not explicitly required if you're only using the BIAB app. From the flash drive, just run the main setup and install onto your external SSD - the setup app will take care of installing the fonts and plugins.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
At this point I recommend you follow instructions from PG Music Support (or Simon). One thing you didn’t explain: do you want to run BIAB on all three of your computers (one at a time)?

In case you are skilled with moving files around, there are two things that might affect you, given the age of your BIAB programs. In 2018, the GUI was revised (although the old one is still there with a click), but also the folder structure for /BB was reorganized. Files are not where they were. For that reason alone, you might find it better to install 2024 on all machines.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Yes, I want BIAB active on all 3 computers. I sometimes work upstairs, sometimes in the Mancave, and sometimes on my laptop.

My takeaway from all this is to do a complete install from the thumb drive onto the available hard drives associated with each PC, and
not fiddle with being able to take an external hard drive from one PC to another since I have three installs. Correct ?

But what about the files on the MegaPak external hard drive running on one of the PC's ? How do I know which files are not included
in the 2024 upgrade thumbdrive ?

And do I just copy all those BIAB related files to the /bb BIAB folder of the other two PC's hard drives ? Or where would I copy them to ?

(NOTE: I don't have any songs that need transferring. I just want to make sure all the styles, etc. on the MegaPak are available on the
other 2 PCs).

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Ok, that’s helpful - all three machines used.

I prefer not to talk you through this because if something doesn’t work, I would feel responsible. Give the Support staff a call tomorrow.

Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by bobcarwell
Yes, I want BIAB active on all 3 computers. I sometimes work upstairs, sometimes in the Mancave, and sometimes on my laptop.

My takeaway from all this is to do a complete install from the thumb drive onto the available hard drives associated with each PC, and
not fiddle with being able to take an external hard drive from one PC to another since I have three installs. Correct ?
That would likely be the most painless route.

But what about the files on the MegaPak external hard drive running on one of the PC's ? How do I know which files are not included
in the 2024 upgrade thumbdrive ?
According to our records, you previously had a 2019 Pro with a couple add-ons. You don't need to install the 2019 Pro, just the 2024 - then download the add-ons from your account and install them.

I work here
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Great ! Thanks Simon.
Those "add-ons" in my account are all stand-alones and work independently of BIAB adding no functionality to it, correct ? (e.g.
Latin Pianist, Blues Piano Master Class, Jazz Piano Master Class, Modern Jazz Pianist, Fusion Soloist, 101 Essential Phrases,
101 Essential Riffs..... Correct ?)

So I need only download them as needed and only on a particular PC where they will be used, correct ?

Thanks for the help !

Bob

Product Manager
Product Manager
Great ! Thanks Simon.
Those "add-ons" in my account are all stand-alones and work independently of BIAB adding no functionality to it, correct ? (e.g.
Latin Pianist, Blues Piano Master Class, Jazz Piano Master Class, Modern Jazz Pianist, Fusion Soloist, 101 Essential Phrases,
101 Essential Riffs..... Correct ?)

So I need only download them as needed and only on a particular PC where they will be used, correct ?
Correct, but you also have at least one Soloist add-on for BB.

I work here
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
The only "Soloist" in My Products I see is "Jeff Lorber Fusion Soloist"

Is this what you're referring to or are there more I'm not seeing (maybe on the
EverythingPAK I have ?

And I think I understand (correctly ?) now that this one Soloist (or any other add-ons entitled "Soloist") works IN BIAB, unlike the others in My Products which work standalone and
independently of BIAB (like "Jazz Pianist", etc.) ?

Big exciting day for me today as I'm actually doing the upgrade I've been looking forward to
for 5 years just in time for Christmas. Sorry for being anal and taking up Forum oxygen
but I just didn't want to screw this up. And thanks to all who responded.

Best,
Bob

Veteran
Veteran
You're definitely not taking up any 'forum oxygen'. That's exactly what these forums are for, and no doubt soon, you'll be delivering help to others that you've learned along the way.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks Veteran. Makes me feel less guilty.

Best,
Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I believe the Jeff Lorber soloist was a special offering quite a few years ago, I wish I had bought it because I don’t think it’s available now. Could be wrong.

EDIT: I found three Jeff Lorber Supertracks here, #30, 32, and 33 at this link: https://www.pgmusic.com/addons.supertracks.php?os=win

Last edited by Matt Finley; 10/04/24 10:08 AM.

Product Manager
Product Manager
The only "Soloist" in My Products I see is "Jeff Lorber Fusion Soloist"
I thought there were more, but it looks like that's the one.

Originally Posted by Matt Finley
I believe the Jeff Lorber soloist was a special offering quite a few years ago, I wish I had bought it because I don’t think it’s available now. Could be wrong.
The Jeff Lorber soloists are available here: https://www.pgmusic.com/addons.artistsoloists.php?os=win

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,412
Members38,972
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John, sirhc1956
38,972 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.