Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Stars Casting Light In The Rain

This song was a songwriting exercise. And another idea received in a dream... in that dream, I got to hear a very rare b-side by one of my favorite bands. When I woke up, I remembered just few bars of the chorus and the song title without the first word, [?] Casting Light In The Rain... for several years, the chords very ready, but I couldn't figure out what the song would be about because of that missing word. Then I decided that the word should be "Stars", because that is a word the songwriter of the band has used quite often in the lyrics. After that, the lyric writing was more straightforward, a story how we could all be stars and able to beat the "bad guys" by being kind and well-behaved, these are true super powers.

I couldn't find their song that would match the melody in the dream, although it resembled some of the songs on one of their albums... so I decided to write and arrange the song in the spirit of that album, but not doing a complete pastiche, rather something my own way, although it is clear that "my way" has been inspired by the group (someone has mentioned the band on this forum when commenting my song...).

Anyway, I hope the song works for you on its own, even without knowing about any references. I would classify the song in the sophisti-pop genre, but maybe you have other ideas. BIAB provided once again the perfect band for my vision, that ElectroFlutes is a classic!

(the band in question is Prefab Sprout, its songwriter Paddy McAloon and the album From Langley Park To Memphis).

RealDrums: Tabla8ths, DjembeKeitaEv16
Loop: Mark Tree - gradual in with shimmer.wav

RealTracks:
2615:Bass, Electric, FunkPumpingQuarters Ev 100
2448:Guitar, Electric, Background, PopDreamyBrent Ev 085
3754:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAutoswellBrent Ev 110
3700:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist SlackKeyBallad Ev 085
3390:Mandolin, Soloist BalladPopTremoloAndy Ev 065
1841:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveHigh Ev16 075
2364:Synth, ElectroFlutes, Rhythm Pop Ev 085
3765:Vibes, Rhythm PopBallad Ev 085
3278:Vocal Mmms, Rhythm RockNRollGospel12-8 4-part Sw 065

Vocals: Synthesizer V Saros (lead), Sheena & Natalie & Weina & Asterian (backing)

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab (Neutron 4, Ozone 11, Neoverb)

Lyrics:

[Verse]
Life's a prayer in unsettled swirls
life's a nightmare
where all the bullies rule the world
they can twist kindness into sin
corruption is their normal way to win
gluttony in flashy towers
wrecking them takes super powers.

[Chorus]
Stars casting light in the rain
fighting for dawn in the night
heroes like Parker and Wayne
are not afraid of the heights.
Upside down kisses in cowl suits
charmingly beating the brutes.

[Verse]
Life's a dream to become a star
life's a class team
to learn how tactful heroes are
they can hide selves by being masked
helping strangers even if not asked
in the web of stellar armory
pulling threads for greater harmony.

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
Storms raise the dark to obscure the facts
but we are the stars to illuminate the virtuous acts.

[Chorus]

--------------------
Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,

This is a very intersting composition. It comes across to me as Alternative Pop. Great message in the lyric. The synth vocals are strong - in a good way.

The backing tracks are very busy, yet they don't step on one another and support the vocal and other backing tracks perfectly.

Nicely done! And thanks for the background story. I always find them interesting.

Best to you,

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Janne, very cool backstory, and a killer arrangement/mix on this tune. So many layers and they're all so clear AND supportive of the song. VERY skillfully done. LOVE your choice of song title, it's very evocative and cool. The superhero lyric is creative as well. I can picture this as a musical number on stage or the big screen. Would be fun to see it come to life like that. Great job!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne, super song
Great vocal and lyrics.
Outstanding mix considering the number of track you have in this song.
This is really a great song.

The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only allowed animals on the ark.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one...a couple of quite loud sibilant spots but no big deal for most folk. The slightly intimate/confessional vocal style is an interesting contrast to the show tune melody and message.
Well done sir.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,

Great song. Love the progression. You selected some excellent voices for the vocals. Awesome mix.

Enjoyed!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool how the song really developed when you added the stars, Janne. Also love your idea of super powers.

Man, excellent lyrics. Once again I think, "I wish we were neighbors." I like how the song starts with the pitter patter of a light rain. But as the rain picks up, the stars shine through. That's a real catchy melody in the chorus and the verse builds nicely to it. So far I've listened 3 times. I might be back to tell you more of how good this song is.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Janne.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you, not 80's Prefab Sprout. wink

With that out of the way, I really like this song! laugh

Darned it, now you've got me listening to From Langley Park To Memphis. There goes my evening...

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brilliant lyrics, combined with an enticing melody and an equally intriguing chord sequence. This song has a fantastic element of unpredictability. Magnificent. So much to like.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Al-David
Janne,

This is a very intersting composition. It comes across to me as Alternative Pop. Great message in the lyric. The synth vocals are strong - in a good way.

The backing tracks are very busy, yet they don't step on one another and support the vocal and other backing tracks perfectly.

Nicely done! And thanks for the background story. I always find them interesting.

Best to you,

Alan

Thanks Alan for your very kind feedback smile Glad you liked the message and the vocals!

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Janne, very cool backstory, and a killer arrangement/mix on this tune. So many layers and they're all so clear AND supportive of the song. VERY skillfully done. LOVE your choice of song title, it's very evocative and cool. The superhero lyric is creative as well. I can picture this as a musical number on stage or the big screen. Would be fun to see it come to life like that. Great job!

Thanks DC for your pleasant and supportive comment smile Wasn't easy to mix, previously I would have had even more instruments, but when I'm getting older I feel that less is more smile but I had to leave two nice guitars on top of each other in the outro section, because I liked them both so much.

It seems that many of my recent songs have received "musical number" comments, just wondering what I should think of that wink

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by MarioD
Janne, super song
Great vocal and lyrics.
Outstanding mix considering the number of track you have in this song.
This is really a great song.

Thanks Mario, always big pleasure to read your positive words smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rayc
Nice one...a couple of quite loud sibilant spots but no big deal for most folk. The slightly intimate/confessional vocal style is an interesting contrast to the show tune melody and message.
Well done sir.

Thanks Ray for your kind comment smile I could make sibilants quieter by isolating the aspiration parts from the vocals to own files, just hadn't done it because of the extra work when the vocal part is under work most of the time. The more intimate vocal style for the song was intentional, I wanted to the vocals be closer to the singer of the dream (of the band behind the inspiration).

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rsdean
Janne,

Great song. Love the progression. You selected some excellent voices for the vocals. Awesome mix.

Enjoyed!

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'm really glad to read your positive feedback smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great lyric and we especially love the bridge.
“Storms raise the dark to obscure the facts
but we are the stars to illuminate the virtuous acts.”

We liked the way the intensity builds as the characters change into their superhero personas.

The mandolin solo and dual guitars outro are very good.
Very effective choice of synth vocalists too.

That is a cool band with the variety of instruments.
The nice mix has great clarity and dynamics.

We think the sophisti-pop genre fits (as Janice Ithought of so many of Queen’s sophisti-rock productions).

Well done!

J&B

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The backing tracks really catch my attention---so well put together and a captivating sound. Delicious harmonies in the chorus.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Very cool how the song really developed when you added the stars, Janne. Also love your idea of super powers.

Man, excellent lyrics. Once again I think, "I wish we were neighbors." I like how the song starts with the pitter patter of a light rain. But as the rain picks up, the stars shine through. That's a real catchy melody in the chorus and the verse builds nicely to it. So far I've listened 3 times. I might be back to tell you more of how good this song is.

Thanks Marty for your positive comments, but I'm still waiting for more praise wink You really found the idea behind my train of thought if there was any smile I'm glad that you liked the build from the verse to the chorus, because, to tell you the truth, I added that mark tree just to hide the fact that it isn't so good....

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, Janne.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you, not 80's Prefab Sprout. wink

With that out of the way, I really like this song! laugh

Darned it, now you've got me listening to From Langley Park To Memphis. There goes my evening...

Thanks David for your kind comment smile Glad you liked my song, but okay, I'm bit disappointed to hear that the song didn't sound like Prefabs wink I thought there was something similar to, for example, Knock On Wood... but I'm sure you enjoyed the real thing by listening to that album, it surely is never waste of time, if you ask me (although Jordan: the Comeback is my favorite).

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Brilliant lyrics, combined with an enticing melody and an equally intriguing chord sequence. This song has a fantastic element of unpredictability. Magnificent. So much to like.

Thanks AudioTrack very much for your very heartwarming feedback smile I think I should frame your words and put them on the wall to remind me every day that there is someone liking my song so much blush

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,

You write the most interesting lyrics.
Excellent use of BIAB. Tremendous backing tracks!
Good vocals.
Solid mix.

Well done.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Interesting lyric, Janne.
You're very good at putting together pop songs.
I don't have a clue in that genre.
Well done.

Vic

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
The best summary for your song is: cool.
In every regard.
Cool lyrics, cool arrangement and mixing choices.
My new favorite song of yours!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by jannesan
(although Jordan: the Comeback is my favorite)
"Jesse James Symphony" and "Jesse James Bolero" are brilliant. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Great lyric and we especially love the bridge.
“Storms raise the dark to obscure the facts
but we are the stars to illuminate the virtuous acts.”

We liked the way the intensity builds as the characters change into their superhero personas.

The mandolin solo and dual guitars outro are very good.
Very effective choice of synth vocalists too.

That is a cool band with the variety of instruments.
The nice mix has great clarity and dynamics.

We think the sophisti-pop genre fits (as Janice Ithought of so many of Queen’s sophisti-rock productions).

Well done!

J&B

Thanks very much J&B for your very generous feedback smile Glad to hear you loved the bridge, because I worked for long time on those lines and I'm still not totally satisified - mainly because "facts" is too firm concept. Well, I tried goals/souls, rules/jewels, lines/signs but they had their own problems, so I had to settle with the current choice.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
The backing tracks really catch my attention---so well put together and a captivating sound. Delicious harmonies in the chorus.

Thanks Storm for your kind comment smile "captivating" & "delicious" sound especially captivating laugh

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Janne,

You write the most interesting lyrics.
Excellent use of BIAB. Tremendous backing tracks!
Good vocals.
Solid mix.

Well done.

fj

Thanks fj for your very kind comment smile To get such a nice feedback on the lyrics from a songsmith like you is really rewarding.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very cool chord changes and Iove how you brought the mandolin in near the end and then the short guitar solo. You are a master at putting together a uniquely beautiful production.

Dewey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool stuff, Janne, love the progression, and excellent lyrics!

Good band, and I like the vocals too, especially when the harmonies come in.

Good stuff, enjoyed.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
As a comic fanboy I really enjoyed this one. Awesome lyrics!! The music is really cool also, the minor to major modes work well to express the dark and light of the lyricical ideas. Nice mix, production, SynthV and Real Tracks. Excellent !!!

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,412
Members38,972
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John, sirhc1956
38,972 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.