Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll go one step farther and say which stem program works best depends on your goal. This thread is based on stem separation for bass and IMHO that is not the main goal for a single sound separation for many people. Separating the vocal I would surmise is the main goal for many and the free Ultimate Vocal Remover does an excellent job on that task.
YMMV

Yeah, I've got O.C.D, Old, Cranky, and Dangerous.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It has been mentioned: "our conclusions are based on the information available at the time. "
I unfortunately don't have one to offer, as I haven't used these applications. But I've followed this thread with interest and I'm intrigued to know what the O/P's conclusions are at this point in time. Inquiring minds need to know smile

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
Originally Posted by MarioD
Separating the vocal I would surmise is the main goal for many and the free Ultimate Vocal Remover does an excellent job on that task. YMMV

Not only do I agree, I will add that its free! grin

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper! Ended.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
So if a conclusion was reached now, what would it be?
AudioTrack, this is easy. I gave 2 conclusions in my response to Cerio.

But two (obvious to me) points need to be made
1. These are my conclusions based on the evidence I observe, to be sure, others will draw their own conclusions. My conclusions may not be your conclusions.
2. Most conclusions are temporary and subject to be updated as conditions change, be it wind direction for the lioness, and unforeseen high pressure system for the weather man or a new software company that comes on the scene.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Ok, using that line of thinking, I have made a preliminary conclusion that I cannot yet conclude one program is better than the other when comparing stem separation of Studio One Pro (7) and Song Master Pro. Was that helpful?
Matt, you are certainly entitled to draw that conclusion or any other that you deem appropriate.

For me, I don't have the luxury of time to be indecisive. Based on the evidence I have observed, my conclusions are different than yours.
That is, S1 is top shelf and other stem separation tools will waste my time in comparison, or I have no need to research other tools. If this changes in the future . . . great!

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DrDan
Originally Posted by MarioD
Separating the vocal I would surmise is the main goal for many and the free Ultimate Vocal Remover does an excellent job on that task. YMMV

Not only do I agree, I will add that its free! grin

More power to you.
Right now I have no need to separate vocals, this thread was intended to explore bass separation.

PS> S1 may also be strong in separating vocals but I have no such observation.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
Ok, using that line of thinking, I have made a preliminary conclusion that I cannot yet conclude one program is better than the other when comparing stem separation of Studio One Pro (7) and Song Master Pro. Was that helpful?
Matt, you are certainly entitled to draw that conclusion or any other that you deem appropriate.

For me, I don't have the luxury of time to be indecisive. Based on the evidence I have observed, my conclusions are different than yours.
That is, S1 is top shelf and other stem separation tools will waste my time in comparison, or I have no need to research other tools. If this changes in the future . . . great!
As I wrote, my preliminary test gave better results for bass with Studio One Pro. I have other uses for stem separation and have a need for the six-track separation of Song Master Pro. I will continue to test both tools.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I will continue to test both tools.
Great! And I hope you report your results so we can all continue to learn. We are talking about and ever-changing landscape and the wind doesn't always blow in the direction the lioness wants wink

As for SongMaster Pro, the performance I got from it, as I mentioned, was pitiful. You can't expect glowing customer reviews if a product produces gaping holes in the seperated bass stem, even if the source audio is compressed. I've worked on software product development and you have to do your requisite homework to be successful as determined by the marketplace.

The good news is that Mr. Schnurrenberger and his team appear to be motivated and engaged, which is precisely why I asked Dan to consider forwarding a link to my SoundCloud file for him to observe my result using S1. Negative (but honest feedback) is a valuable commodity indeed.

But better yet, Mr. Schnurrenberger could join this forum and observe feedback on SMP first hand . . . that's what I would do.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
It’s not just Dan. I had a nice dialog with the developer and requested a tempo map function, which was added.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
As for SongMaster Pro, the performance I got from it, as I mentioned, was pitiful. You can't expect glowing customer reviews if a product produces gaping holes in the seperated bass stem, even if the source audio is compressed. I've worked on software product development and you have to do your requisite homework to be successful as determined by the marketplace.

This is not a fair statement. I don't have Studio One 7 to test, but I'm 300% sure that it will also fail to separate bass (or any other track) sooner or later, just like any other similar program in the market. Try maybe a 1940s old jazz tune, a Cuban song recorded with a baby bass, a funky song mixing lots of slap bass notes with fingerstyle, an 80s tune with a doubled synth bass, or maybe a 60s song with a tic-tac bass line extremely panned to the right (let alone flamenco, modern Indian / African music and other world music styles) and you'll probably see by yourself.

Would you say then that Studio One performance is pitful? You shouldn't, at this stage of development, this is simply how these algorithms work, they have been trained on certain types of material and they are designed to work well in most cases, but they cannot be expected to work perfectly well in any possible scenario.

Last edited by Cerio; Yesterday at 03:09 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It’s not just Dan. I had a nice dialog with the developer and requested a tempo map function, which was added.
Here is a screenshot of page 1 of the process I captured for doing this in S1. Kudos to Gregor and his "PreSonus Starship". Capturing this in written form was a worthwhile exercize. It allowed me to tempo-map several songs, gave me a good appreciation of the programming progress made in this area and it was another opportunity to keep my wetware nice and wet.

As it turns out, I've been asked to give a talk on one example of the intersection of AI and music. My initial conclusion was to talk about the appendix in the White Paper. But now I have an even better subject; AI-enabled bass separation using S1. Now I need to down-select and buy a laptop that is Win11 ready.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 66.jpg (123.35 KB, 61 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Cerio
This is not a fair statement. I don't have Studio One 7 to test . . .
It's entirely fair to express my opinion based on my test results. Rather than state that you don't have Studio One 7, why don't you purchase it for yourself? That way you could post and report your results including how it compares to SMP.

Would you say then that Studio One performance is pitful? You shouldn't, at this stage of development, this is simply how these algorithms work, they have been trained on certain types of material and they are designed to work well in most cases, but they cannot be expected to work perfectly well in any possible scenario.
S1 has not reached perfection but if it produced unacceptable results and didn't meet my needs I would so state. The quality of the algorithms are proportional to the quantity and quality of the data used to train them.
Make no mistake and don't cross-confuse my dissapointment with one aspect of SMP with my view of the program in general. I actually like most of SMP. The GUI is clean, it does a good job in identifying chords, it has a small footprint and I like how it detects and displays tempo as it progresses thru the song.

Their programmers however, in my opinion need improve its performance on audio like You've Got Your Troubles converted from a YouTube; probably by training on lower resolution, compressed audio. It could be said that relative to online tools that YouTube may be second only to email in usage. That makes YouTube pretty important; so important that this very forum has a Best of YouTube sub-forum. I'm interested in a full-bodied seperator, not one limited to high resolution, uncompressed files, and I've found one.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Here is a screenshot of page 1 of the process I captured for doing this in S1. Kudos to Gregor and his "PreSonus Starship". Capturing this in written form was a worthwhile exercize. It allowed me to tempo-map several songs, gave me a good appreciation of the programming progress made in this area and it was another opportunity to keep my wetware nice and wet.

As it turns out, I've been asked to give a talk on one example of the intersection of AI and music. My initial conclusion was to talk about the appendix in the White Paper. But now I have an even better subject; AI-enabled bass separation using S1. Now I need to down-select and buy a laptop that is Win11 ready.

In V7 you don't need to go into all those steps to create a tempo map no more or use Melodyne. You simply right click on the track that you want to create the tempo map and select create tempo map. Then just drag that track to the temp track and you are done.

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 11

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Brian Hughes
In V7 you don't need to go into all those steps to create a tempo map no more or use Melodyne. You simply right click on the track that you want to create the tempo map and select create tempo map. Then just drag that track to the temp track and you are done.

Yes and that is the main reason I purchased V7. On a couple of tests that I ran the results are more accurate than Melodyne. This is a big plus for me when BobH and I jam without a click track.

{Edit} plus it is faster and easier to use than Melodyne.

Last edited by MarioD; 1 hour ago.

Yeah, I've got O.C.D, Old, Cranky, and Dangerous.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
That sounds really good (I will upgrade shortly).

I know this is off the topic but have they fixed the cursor issue in V7 i.e. to be able to have the cursor fixed and centred when recording takes?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Brian Hughes
Yes, I'm aware of this improvement in V7 but haven't tried it yet.
Needless to say, I'm impressed with the engineering, programming and management at PreSonus; a well-run, customer-focused company.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that they acquired a well known competitor.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,958
Posts751,587
Members38,952
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
rojina9, soul57, Vince44, iTsens, Brankee
38,952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 121