Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Artificial? Yes. Intelligence? Not that I have seen.

And all the more disturbing given the rapidity for which it is moving into the medical field.

J&B

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud

And all the more disturbing given the rapidity for which it is moving into the medical field.

J&B
[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Remember MYCIN?

Back in the day, AI meant expert systems, with inference engines driven by rule-based systems using knowledge derived from subject matter experts. AI moved from LISP to Prolog.

Fuzzy logic was a big thing, because it dealt more robustly with edge cases and gaps. But systems were still build from a knowlege engineering perspective.

Now we're at the point where neural networks are fed tons of data, and we don't care about the inner workings. As long the error measure is below some given level, the system is fit for use.

Strange days.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
It appears that some controls are being brought into place:

https://alvaromontoro.com/blog/68057/ai-act-is-here

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
It appears that some controls are being brought into place:

https://alvaromontoro.com/blog/68057/ai-act-is-here

Maybe. Nothing I've read about this mentions Copyrights.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, who knows where this is leading? Maybe nowhere? Maybe the thin end of the wedge?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Rick Beato - amen!

I actually shed a tear, because he just nailed it, and exposed the flip side of any art in our society today.

I'm guilty of being an active Apple Music Subscriber, I used to subscribe to Netflix/Amazon/Disney/HBO, I subscribe to Storytell and on my TV I subscribe to put art on my Samsung The Frame TV.
I can have everything at my fingertips, easy and convenient - but I value it less, than what I used to do.
I have so many choices on how to spent my spare time with art. You can add social media, gaming etc to that equation.'

The interesting thing is, what I actually value is music I listened to in the past - with very few exceptions. I value watching and learning about historical things - especially understanding the 60's, 70 and the 80's better with the historians perspectives. I value real acting, comedy performed live and listening to books (in the car while I drive) and last but not least - listening to radio...not music radio - old fashion radio where real people share experiences, exchange views and perspectives.

Especially with streaming and social media, it is very difficult to balance these things in a meaningful way - since algorithms and AI just feed me the same things over and over again.

As an extensive user of BIAB for more than a decade, using other composer aid tools as well - I also somehow add to the Rick Beato's drain is his kitchen sink. But without some of these wonderful tools, I wouldn't be spending hours trying to improve my singing, song writing, guitar playing ....the list goes on. I think the main difference is, that I want to control the full process, and try to replace even Real Tracks to see if I can do it more like my own work. With the AI tools on trial, I feel that I'm no longer in the driving seat of the process. I guess that's a matter of taste and experience with the various tools

I would have loved to be part of a band, but the chance and option never came my way. I never started making music to become rich and famous (I dreamt of that in a younger age), but especially BIAB became my band. For others their AI became their band.

The funny thing is - that since I have 50+ songs out there, the AIs might even feed on my music (probably to learn what not to do grin ... ) So maybe the safest bet is for the AIs to learn from the masters and generate artistic questionable or even poor music, that the Air will learn from again - maybe a downward spiral, might change music business again, and make room for the talented, the creative, the geniuses ....maybe we have to go fully through this era, for music to develop.

Meanwhile I will spend a lot of my time and attention to keep on watching guys like Rick, to remind me of what used to be, what used to make me both happy and sad at the same time, but what used to make me feel alive.

If you read so far - thank you - I'll end my ramble

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

I would say this might be similar to someone who has never played an instrument, for the example, let's say a guitar, messing around with it for a few hours for a few days and determining because they can't play it, the guitar doesn't sound very good at all. They don't seek out examples of where a guitar sounded great to them, then take the time to learn what has to be done to create what they like.

I can say that it's BY FAR not as easy to make a decent song as people seem to want it to be. Musician or not. It's a whole new set of skills and thinking differently than you maybe have before about writing a song. Also, the technology becoming more user friendly will help. There are some pretty unintuitive hoops to jump through to get a decent result. Even at that, it takes many attempts.

Personally, I don't find it easier to write a song using various A/I tools. I think it is actually harder in certain aspects. In other aspects though, it can help tremendously. Combining A/I technology, with the SKILL of prompting (which isn't overly simple), and most of all, the HUMAN side of it, I believe works well. It's just not a push a button get a song thing by a long shot. If you understand composition, lyric writing, song structure, and especially production, it can really help. From watching others though, I feel many musicians greatly over-estimate their skill proficiency in several of those arenas when approaching this technology.

Just my opinion on this. Ultimately that's all any of this have on the matter is our opinions.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by HearToLearn

I would say this might be similar to someone who has never played an instrument, for the example, let's say a guitar, messing around with it for a few hours for a few days and determining because they can't play it, the guitar doesn't sound very good at all.
+1

I have seen and heard this "Artificial Yes, Intelligent, No" sentiment a few times over the years.
And when I've challenged such folks to a "You vs AI" battle of the minds, they and I both know they wouldn't stand a chance against an AI bot in the same way they wouldn't stand a chance in an earth moving competition with a bulldozer.

Anti-technology and folks that cannot understand technology have always been with us.

After all:
"If man were made to fly, he would have been born with wings"
"The earth is not a globe."
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.”

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
After all:
"If man were made to fly, he would have been born with wings"
"The earth is not a globe."
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.”

Steve, you forgot to add "I'll never use a mouse"!

Yeah, I've got O.C.D, Old, Cranky, and Dangerous.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
This may be a little if track, but other people have been a little off track, so I guess I'm allowed to do it too. So here goes.

As a multi-instrumentalist and someone who has spent a large part of his life playing in numerous bands, and in recording sessions with bands, including bands that I have fronted, I take a lot of joy in playing instrumental tracks myself just because I think it's fun.

However, I have never had a problem with people making music in any other fashion that they would like, even if they just choose to bang on a trash can lid or use banging on a trash can lid loops. What difference does it make, it's a free country.

I am sure that there are many artists out there who are legitimately using all the AI tools at their disposal to come up with something creative, while still trying to stay within the bounds of the law and not deliberately steal from other artists. And I'm sure for many their intentions are good.

I just have not had that many interactions with songwriters who do not play an instrument at some level and use that instrument as they are working through the craft of writing a song. That is not to say there aren't such people out there, I just haven't really mingled with songwriters who aren't musicians as well but that's just me. Again I'm not saying there isn't another way to do it, I'm just saying that's the way most people I know do it.

Also, all of the songwriters that I interact with have some sort of spiritual force inside of them that is trying to express itself in an original way. They actually agonize over the lyrics that they write and the shape and form of the music they create until it reaches a state of perfection and they feel that it is a unique expression of their own 1 and 7 billion personhood.

I think all of them in that group I'm defining would say that AI is absolutely anathema to their artistic personality.

I've even had some of them complain about my use of Band in a Box for backing tracks although I usually play numerous tracks on numerous instruments and synths myself on every song I put out. Some of them think that any use of something that's not real is not legitimate but I think that's a little bit snotty and unrealistic. When I try to explain to them that a backing track is a backing track and I see nothing at all wrong with using band in a box if I can't find a bass player or drummer at any particular moment they still don't understand me. But c'est la vie.

For me, the creation of music is just an avenue for the generation of personal joy. If other people like it and have fun with it that's cool, if they don't like it that's cool too. The main reason I do what I do in music is just because it makes me feel good. And I will just keep on doing it for that reason and no other reason.

And I have no interest whatsoever in surrendering that joy to a computer or a machine.

I would rather play computer video games than do that and I've never played a single video computer game in my entire life.

Just my two cents.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,955
Posts751,549
Members38,952
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
rojina9, soul57, Vince44, iTsens, Brankee
38,952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 114