Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
From the get go we loved the bouncy, happy feel of the band and your conversational singing.

The story got us hooked and we immediately wanted to find out what happens! smile

The last little guitar tag at the very end was superbly cool.

Saying the vocals and the mix are excellent is kinda like saying the sun’s gonna rise in the morning.

And the write?
Just randomly choose a few lines and say it’s great and you’ll be correct … but we particularly liked:

“we lost touch somewhere between rock'n'roll and disco
paths were taken, lives were led
the american dream not yet dead”

Enjoyed the chillin’ vibe!

J&B

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
SMILE. Dang, you got some great stories and no one can tell them as well as you and Pete. This song is so amazingly good, floyd. Most folks seem to rate the quality of songs by how much money they make. You know the truth though.

Absolutely terrific lyrics that everyone can relate to, whether through personal experience or desire to have had one similar. A smooth, engaging voice to tell the story and captivate the listener. A catchy melody and the perfect touch of harmony that hooks the listener into repeating the thrill. A band of outstanding professionals to smooth out the audio experieince. A stimulating presentation that drills down to the very depth of ones soul and stirs up all the good things we have about being human.

I'd love to join you guys on that front porch, although in my old age I changed from beer to wine.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Strong composition. Sounds great with the excellent production, and I have a feeling it would be just as good with a lone acoustic guitar. I like the syncopated vocal delivery in parts of the song.

"there's something about your hometown
you can't ever shake that pull" ---True dat!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey really nice man.

These lyrics are great.

Like the band and production as always but it is the lyrics that really do it for me. Great storytelling and twists.

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I think everyone has a Pete in their lives, along with the memories. That alone, makes this a universal hit. Good write, arrangement and performance too.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Greg Johnson
torn apart in a wide wide world
i lost a job, he lost a damn good girl
we lost touch somewhere between rock'n'roll and disco
paths were taken, lives were led
the american dream not yet dead
though i heard he spent a couple years in mexico

Now, that is what I call writing with craft!!!! There is telling a story, and there's telling it with magic.....this is the latter!!!
Really wonderful song with levels. The surface is fun and care-free, but underneath is a story of nostalgia and yearning.

You never miss, my friend!!! Take care. Greg

So very nice of you to say, Greg....

Originally Posted by Izzy
Hi Floyd.

I really admire your ability to capture relatable experiences in your songs.
The way you describe ‘a couple beers and a little weed’ perfectly encapsulates some personal fond memories for me.
I thought that it was going to be a folk song at first and then the drums and banjo take it in a new direction . Then half way into the second verse the rock guitars enter the fray and the song builds in a delightfully interesting and unexpected way (for me).
I must admit that I was hoping to hear some of Pete's ganja inspired leads, but no biggie. smile
Great song Floyd and surely creating a song at this juncture serves as your most eloquent form of rebellion against the unwelcome intrusion of Milton and Helene.

Thanks, Izzy. Nice to find that people are finding this relatable (since I made it all up smile )
We'll get to those ganja leads down the road...

User Showcase
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Hi Floyd, your songs (not only thisd one) are definitely "in your ear". I'm very excited and also surprised by where you bring the drums in. Completely unexpected but original. And what a voice! Shall we do a duet sometime?

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by camog
Song-craft Floyd - the list of superlatives is so long, and your great voice tops it all,
fantastic mix & mastering too with everything in it's place!
Magic,

Carl

Thanks, Carl...appreciated...

Originally Posted by Al-David
Hi Floyd

Spare time's a little hard to come by for me these days. But there's always time for a Floyd Jane song.

About this song in particular - a real cool story! And, as always, extremely well presented. Those two things are always well represented in your songs. One thing I noticed was that the title of the song appears nowhere in the chorus. That's pretty unusual, but you pulled it off convincingly. What a great listen.

About your music in general - always well done and well presented. But the one thing that always strikes me is the depth of the stories. Your lyrics are like a complete book, but in a hundred words or less. If I had the time, I could write an entire novel simply based upon almost every lyric you've written or co-written. Only a true words craftsman can pen lyrics like that. And you damn sure qualify as just that. I admire and appreciate your immeasurable talent.

Alan

PS: Good to hear your home is still there.

Very nice of you to say. Alan...

Originally Posted by rayc
That bridge is a magically thing.
Ah, the old old old days of a couple of beers, the old old days of OJ & weed, the old days of beer n weed and the current days when upper & downers are taken together to balance each other.
I was not one, in the day, to mix my metaphors or poisons.
Weirdnesses abound but but not in this story of pals and a home town.
Excellent on all levels.
Again, that bridge...

Thanks, ray.
Funny, I thought the bridge was a bit sloppy and I considered re-writing it. An example... it should have been "when you leave IT leaves a hole" instead of "you leave a hole" so that you are (or could be) the one with the hole, Not your hometown (details matter)
smile
I think about these things...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Dewey_MI
Floyd,

Love your production ear the way you bring in and take out instruments. Great lyrics as usual. I agree with Ray about the bridge. Your vox give me chills when you hit those high notes.

Keep 'em coming!
Dewey

Thanks, Dewey...

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Brings back memories of a band I was in back in the 70's! Good times indeed.

Excellent as per usual, floyd, listened a couple of times.

thanks, Dave...

Originally Posted by vicarn
Songs to take you back. Ahhh!
I was reading the fine lyrics and singing a similar tune in my head before I played it.
Very nice.

Vic

Thanks, Vic...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Ronnie Fields
You wouldn't think it me singing and writing gospel music, but this used to be me, during the 70s, I played in the bars and honky tonks, I am reminded of how I used to live... Great song.

Thanks, Ronnie.

Originally Posted by laurent4114
Floyd you have a beautiful voice and you sing very well. So it's really nice to hear you.
Laurent

Thank, Laurent.

Originally Posted by dcuny
Hi, floyd jane.

Cool story, and as Ray said, a bridge with heart.

Poppy and upbeat, graced with your always fantastic vocals. smile

Thanks, David.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by musician17
This is phenomenal. Phenomenal, even for your always high standard. One of your very best.

Had tears in my eyes at the story, and the twist in the last verse took me completely by surprise. Superbly written, and you deliver it so, so well. It's been a while since I've heard an up-tempo song from you, and boy was it worth the wait. How do you do it? Wow. BRAVO.

James - thanks for your continued support..

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
There's nothing to add that hasn't already been said, except that I like the part best where the banjo goes and the electric kicks in, for two reasons grin

What really amazes me is that when I read the lyrics, it's like we meet in a pub down the street, I ask “How are you?” and you casually tell this story that just happens to rhyme and fit a song.
It's all so natural.
BIG kudos!

Thanks, B. D.
That is actually a perfect description of what songwriting ought to be. A meaningful conversation. Casual, natural.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,412
Members38,972
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John, sirhc1956
38,972 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.