Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I've got a sax melody in the intro bars of the song, but I'd like to use a different sound for the vocal melody. Can I change the sound at a particular bar? I looked at Bar Settings, but found nothing.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Funkifized
I've got a sax melody in the intro bars of the song, but I'd like to use a different sound for the vocal melody. Can I change the sound at a particular bar? I looked at Bar Settings, but found nothing.

Using MIDI:
1: Click function key <F5> of the desired bar,
2: Choose the track you want to have the change applied at,
3: Select a different patch.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Note that you cannot swap between MIDI and RealTracks this way within the same song.

Last edited by AudioTrack; 10/22/24 12:50 PM.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
For Audio tracks, another way to achieve this is to use the Audio Editor with Utility Tracks. Generate the different parts you want and place them on Utility tracks, then use the Audio Edit window together with Volume Automation to mute / un-mute different tracks at the required locations.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Bar settinngs doesn't seem to do it. It says that the MIDI change is at Measure 7, but it BIAB doesn't seem to change it upon regenerate.

Last edited by Funkifized; 10/22/24 12:51 PM.

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
Bar settinngs doesn't seem to do it. It says that the MIDI change is at Measure 7, but it BIAB doesn't seem to change it upon regeneratre.
The track is not frozen by any chance?

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Nope. I've been adding notes to the melody by step entry and going back to check it after.

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Audio Track's instructions for mixing audio tracks also works for midi tracks as well. The difference will be there won't be waveforms visible. However, automation works with midi the same as audio in all the tracks.

Also, if you need more tracks, if you use two or more tracks, midi or audio, it's possible to bounce the tracks to one stereo/mono track and free the other tracks to use to record new material.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.jpg (21.28 KB, 117 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
Audio Track's instructions for mixing audio tracks also works for midi tracks as well. The difference will be there won't be waveforms visible. However, automation works with midi the same as audio in all the tracks.

Also, if you need more tracks, if you use two or more tracks, midi or audio, it's possible to bounce the tracks to one stereo/mono track and free the other tracks to use to record new material.

Not OP, is it possible to bounce audio tracks post-FX? How about if I want to adjust various parameters in a plugin on the fly, and have the affected audio (with all the parameter modulations), and basically record the output on another track as a receive?

DB09

Band-in-a-Box 2024. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Veteran
Veteran
Audio Track's instructions for mixing audio tracks also works for midi tracks as well. The difference will be there won't be waveforms visible. However, automation works with midi the same as audio in all the tracks..
It would be an improvement if the MIDI data was displayed in the Audio Edit window, the same way that it is in the Tracks view display:

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
dont jump all over me but ive posted my wishes previously.

i find jumping around tween views wastes a lot of time.
in rb i can work mostly in tracks view.
and would like the same for bb new fab tracks view...
in summary bb tracks view becomes 'work central' with the same protocol as rb
and some daws. (so its familiar to new bb users.)

ie ya wanna do 'anything' just hilite a section of a track then right clik (like some daws) and a list of editing//fx//generation//and other track features pop up.
and if its a 'global' track command then right clik on the track name at left of a track
in tracks view.

what i dont like about the current audio edit view is one cant see when editing all the other tracks so i lose 'perspective'.
frankly audio edit view i feel should be done away with.

i believe new tracks view could be a 'market slayer' if the above were adopted.
ie one central 'view'.

in fact and i know some might view this as heresy...so be it.
BUT with the addition of chord and tempo and lyric and marker and automation tracks in fab new track view i would be dancing around the house.
in this scenario essentially current chord and audio edit views would be redundant.
i could do all in tracks view. even subtle stuff like applying a fx to just a section of a track or tuning a note or changeing the parameters of a midi track at various time points.
i 'know' some may not want more 'daw features' in bb, but i feel this could just be a major magnet for new users....just my opinion....one work center view.

in summary the op's need re midi would be a breeze given the above scenario.
just a doddle.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/23/24 04:21 AM.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
And forgive me for a point of view expressed many times, changing the midi instrument is dead easy in RB where you can see lots of separate tracks and copy one track to another, cut bits you don't want and use the existing midi info to drive different instruments.

But I know switching to RB is not a route people want to follow.

Veteran
Veteran
The question was asked in the BIAB forum page. Yes, this can be done in RB, a DAW and elsewhere, but I don't think that was the question the O/P was asking.

Last edited by AudioTrack; 10/23/24 10:23 AM.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues09

Not OP, is it possible to bounce audio tracks post-FX? How about if I want to adjust various parameters in a plugin on the fly, and have the affected audio (with all the parameter modulations), and basically record the output on another track as a receive?

DB09

Not sure what OP means and my apologies the answer may be a little off topic to the original question, but:

< is it possible to bounce audio tracks post-FX? >
In BIAB? - Yes

< How about if I want to adjust various parameters in a plugin on the fly, and have the affected audio (with all the parameter modulations), and basically record the output on another track as a receive? >

Audio Track's instructions and my reply dealt with volume automation to create a multi track mix. Assume Audio Track created a mix using six Utility Tracks and volume automated mutes, return to normal and volume automation and panning, as well as adding dynamics, eq and Fx's to the tracks.

In BIAB, that six track mix can be converted to an Artist Performance File as a stereo mix residing on one track. The individual tracks can be saved or erased as desired so those tracks can be used for recording other instruments. Or, the mix can be recorded live in BIAB during playback as I demonstrate with the attached screen shot.

The screen shot is showing the live recording replacing the muted piano and guitar tracks. In other words, as the song played, everything except the desired mix tracks, piano and guitar, were routed and recorded back into the BIAB song. After the mix recording, the original piano and guitar tracks were muted and replaced by the stereo guitar/piano mix.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Audio Track's instructions for mixing audio tracks also works for midi tracks as well. The difference will be there won't be waveforms visible. However, automation works with midi the same as audio in all the tracks..
It would be an improvement if the MIDI data was displayed in the Audio Edit window, the same way that it is in the Tracks view display:

One thing in the difference is the midi block data doesn't provide the details a waveform does and also considering my background in mixing, recording, and live sound production, and others with similar background, it seems more a convenience than an improvement. Working with analog or digital mixers and stand alone digital hardware recorders, involves fader manipulation by ear not sight. It's also easy to mix with multiple fingers and maybe trying to track several tracks by sight may be distracting for me.

I would think a control surface more of an improvement for everybody with Tracks View.

multi finger mixing.jpg (45.4 KB, 84 downloads)
Waveform details.jpg (244.81 KB, 84 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
I would think a control surface more of an improvement for everybody with Tracks View.
We can only hope. Maybe 2025? In the meantime, we can only work with what we've got.

Also, not all users are highly skilled at mixing, especially dynamic mixing, and many would not have the required add-ons.

Veteran
Veteran
sorry Audio Track - i know the post was in the BIAB forum but the point i was trying to make is that whilst you can do almost anything in BIAB, what the OP wanted to do is so easy in RB. I'm on a one man mission to ask people who have never even opened RB to take a look at the program they get for free which is actually simpler to use than BIAB - IMHO.

i know i'm not alone in switching to RB after generating a basic track in BIAB and appreciate that some users prefer to stay in BIAB to the very end.

As you say............."We can only hope. Maybe 2025? In the meantime, we can only work with what we've got.
Also, not all users are highly skilled at mixing, especially dynamic mixing, and many would not have the required add-ons."

We've all got RB and it takes very little skill and no add ons to achieve what the OP wants to do in RB.

But whatever work flow works for individuals is up to them and BIAB is a truly amazing program.

Veteran
Veteran
All good, Bob. I use both, and I believe, like you, that RealBand offers many benefits. There is some reluctance from a few users, and it can sometimes be difficult to work out why.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Change the midi patch of a Track at a particular measure is possible by using a MultiStyle. In your circumstance, you would search MultiStyles in the StylePicker that had the two midi patches you want to use on the same track with all the other tracks remaining the same.
You would use Part Markers to select which of the two Style and different soloist instrument to play across the measures you designate with Part Markers. For example one style plays sax and the second style plays Jazz Guitar while all other instruments and substyles remain the same.

You may not find the exact match. If you don't, use the current style to edit and save a User custom style, adding the second soloist to the same track by replacing the first and saving the new custom style to use in you MultiStyle. You create and edit styles in the StylePicker located under File Menu.

Rebuild the StylePicker so it will find your new style.
Select the measure you want, Rt click on the Part Marker and select Define c/d
The StylePicker will open, in the search type in the name you gave to your User Style, and select and load it,
Change the Part Marker back to your a/b original style to end the solo of your song.

A BIAB song can have as many as 24 MultiStyles that can be used multiple times in your song. Using MultiStyles works the same with RealStyles and SuperMidi tracks too. It works with combining these different medias.

Define cd.jpg (192.93 KB, 44 downloads)
Select your User cd Style.jpg (188 KB, 44 downloads)
Use both substyles in a 4 bar solo.jpg (171.75 KB, 44 downloads)
StyleMaker.jpg (137.39 KB, 44 downloads)

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
One last, sort of off-topic, comment here because the OP's request for multiple midi patches on a single track and BIAB's solution is such a clear demonstration of why converting BIAB into a DAW isn't as good an it's thought to be.

< JOAM: in rb i can work mostly in tracks view.
and would like the same for bb new fab tracks view...
in summary bb tracks view becomes 'work central' with the same protocol as rb and some daws. (so its familiar to new bb users.) >

< JOAM: in summary the op's need re midi would be a breeze given the above scenario. >

< BOB CALVER: And forgive me for a point of view expressed many times, changing the midi instrument is dead easy in RB where you can see lots of separate tracks and copy one track to another, cut bits you don't want and use the existing midi info to drive different instruments.

But I know switching to RB is not a route people want to follow. >

Yes, the solution to placing multiple midi patches on a single track is easy in RealBand. but it involves rendering multiple tracks of multiple instruments and copy and pasting between tracks.

In BIAB the solution to changing multiple midi patches on a single track is selecting another Style and setting Part Markers.
Or, with a sound source like Coyote, use Bar Settings.

What's being missed from the DAW proponent's perspective is BIAB is driven by the Chord Sheet and the Chord Sheet and all the associated features and tools are non-linear. RealBand and all DAW's are linear.

I've attached screen shots of a BIAB constructed song SGU demo with seven Styles, each with two style variations. It's 128 bars of 14 styles composed of at least six different instrument changes to show the difference this makes between BIAB and a DAW creating the same song. To accentuate the drastic difference between non-linear and linear, there's a screen shot of bar settings that by adding just on chorus, allows for the second chorus to be change each Part Marker, instrument and add even more styles. BIAB can have ten more styles for this arrangement.

Open the demo in BIAB, and the song is very dynamic and interesting because it's constructed in non-linear manner using 14 Style variations and six soloist instruments.

Open the demo in RealBand with it's linear design, there are only two substyle in the song. All of the dynamics are missing becasuse the a/b styles don't feature any soloists. These would have to be input manually.

Even if the song is rendered in BIAB and the tracks exported and imported RealBand, to edit the tracks so the dynamics, style variations and soloists are the same as the single render MultiStyle done in BIAB, they have to be rendered individually for each instrument, style variation and edited manually.

Audition the demo to hear the comparison. If I were giving a BIAB demonstration to a potential new user, regardless their DAW experience or not, I think the BIAB demo render to be much more impressive than the RB demo render.

Demo Opened in BIAB.jpg (151.24 KB, 32 downloads)
Demo opened in RealBand.jpg (187.03 KB, 32 downloads)
SubStyles.jpg (87.86 KB, 32 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Point taken Charlie but the OP just wanted to change the midi instrument at a certain bar. As I've said in the past I'm just trying to recreate the small bands I used to play with - hence my needs are quite simple. I'm impressed with what you can achieve in BIAB!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,412
Members38,972
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John, sirhc1956
38,972 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.