Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here's what the problem was: My melody track is using the Plogue Sforzando plugin, which does not support program change messages sent from BIAB.

I'm kind of annoyed, as I liked the sax sound from the HiQ MIDI sound that I used, but I suppose I should be more annoyed with Plogue Sforzando than with BIAB.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Funkifized
Here's what the problem was: My melody track is using the Plogue Sforzando plugin, which does not support program change messages sent from BIAB.

I'm kind of annoyed, as I liked the sax sound from the HiQ MIDI sound that I used, but I suppose I should be more annoyed with Plogue Sforzando than with BIAB.

If you must stay in BiaB here is a workaround but it is a little tedious. Copy your melody track to the utility track(s) the number of times you want different sound, including your initial sound then mute the melody track. In either the notation view or the piano roll view delete the area you do not want that instrument to play. Do this for each utility track(s). Assign the SFZ sound your want for each utility track.

The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only allowed animals on the ark.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Well, I did pretty much that, but I copied the melody to the soloist track and used that for the sax melody.

Is there an easy way to copy the Melody track to a Utility track?

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, right click on the track you want to move and select track action/copy move track. Then select the utility track that you want to move or copy the melody (or any track).

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
move 1.jpg (88.84 KB, 41 downloads)
move 2jpg.jpg (59.02 KB, 41 downloads)

The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only allowed animals on the ark.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran

I've been presuming there's a reason why you want to change the instrument on one track, rather than having each instrument on its own track. If there isn't such a reason, you might consider that alternative.

If you expressly wand the single MIDI track and program changes, I believe you're correct that sforzando doesn't do that.

Some other sound engines do. A number of people use the VSTSynthFont64 that PGM quietly bundle with BiaB, but say little about ... it is in the manual, though. The recent versions claim to support SFZ files "... much better now". If that doesn't work out, there are some excellent free soundfonts that may offer a comparable sound to the sax you like. If all of those fail, there are also tools around that will convert SFZ to SF2, though I think I've never tried that.

HTH.
Gordon.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by Bob Calver
sorry Audio Track - i know the post was in the BIAB forum but the point i was trying to make is that whilst you can do almost anything in BIAB, what the OP wanted to do is so easy in RB. I'm on a one man mission to ask people who have never even opened RB to take a look at the program they get for free which is actually simpler to use than BIAB - IMHO.

i know i'm not alone in switching to RB after generating a basic track in BIAB and appreciate that some users prefer to stay in BIAB to the very end.

As you say............."We can only hope. Maybe 2025? In the meantime, we can only work with what we've got.
Also, not all users are highly skilled at mixing, especially dynamic mixing, and many would not have the required add-ons."

We've all got RB and it takes very little skill and no add ons to achieve what the OP wants to do in RB.

But whatever work flow works for individuals is up to them and BIAB is a truly amazing program.

No problem Bob. I'm sure you understand what I said and demonstrated, but I'm not sure you got my point. Most opinions you, OM and other DAW proponents commonly assert are true and I have no issues with them. What's lacking with your point of view in not only this discussion, but all DAW/BIAB comparison discussions, is there's never a presentation outlining the differences to how BIAB does a task as compared to the steps in a DAW. There's a huge difference between BIAB being a non-linear software that's based around the Chord Sheet for user input and display - to all DAWs, including RealBand being linear software for input and display. This difference obfuscates what are advantages compared to disadvantages between the two systems.

To do the task in this post using BIAB's default midi sound engine or MultiStyles, requires no mixing or add-on's, so no such skills would be necessary and it would be accomplished within the program and take little time, without losing any of BIAB's tools, features, Styles or instruments.

"I'm impressed with what you can achieve in BIAB"

My point is to impress upon and other DAW advocates, what -you- can achieve in BIAB.

The example demo I posted simply requires anyone curious to what I've just explained, to hear the difference by opening and playing the demo SGU file in BIAB and then Opening and playing the same demo file in RealBand.

Using the steps with either BIAB solution presented to this simple problem, using BIAB, it's possible to quickly, efficiently and without advanced or even moderate mixing and arranging skills, for BIAB to create quite a complex arrangement in seconds without manual manipulation, multiple instrument track generations, exterior programs- RB or other DAWs.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I didn't really have a good reason to change the instrument on one track, except that both were the melody, and I realized that I didn't like the vocal melody played by the sax. Not having inuitive ways to copy/paste to different tracks is unhelpful, and including a function to change MIDI sounds within a track *but* *only* *under* *certain* *undocumented* *circumstances* certainly detracts from timely workflow. How was I to know that Plogue Sforzando sounds are off limits for changing a MIDI sound? If we're expected to just have different instruments on separate tracks, why is there a function to change the MIDI sound within a track at all?

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
all.

I try hard to be a consensus builder and discuss topics in a friendly collegial fashion.
it really disturbs me when someone suggests a particular aspect of a pg music app or all of it is c**p.
like some comments weve seen over the years on these forums.

i always disagree with such comments because pg apps are very powerfull tools.
one only has to see the benefits eg the user showcase plus music education
institutions plus commercial songs and adverts and things like songs for films etc etc.

the problem for some new users, and i agree with rob helms is that word 'familiarity'.
these are very very deep products because pg i suspect is trying to cater to a very diverse user base world wide with many different needs.
(like we used to have when i worked in tech.;..its darn difficult to keep everyone happy.)
because of how deep feature wise these products are imho users must commit to 'dive right in with both feet' in order to get the best from these apps.
like charlie and many other users.

it worries me that 'lurkers' in the background who might be potential buyers might run for the hills on reading negative comments and thus lose products that could really help their song creation endeavours.
thus we all suffer...pg included. pg loses revenue and possibly we all lose great new features or such features might be delayed.

i'm a half glass full kinda guy and i know all of us want to continue to see pg be successfull.
thus i laud those pg users that devote their time to helping new users.

what i DO think is there is an urgent need for is a chart rather like the pg packages chart showing feature differences tween bb and rb.
this i feel would clear up any confusion for new users.
because this seems to crop up occasionally.

there also great 'synergy' a user can realise by using bb and rb together rather than an either or.
for example ive done lots of songs whereby ive used bb to generate 'song bed tracks' which ive then dragged over into rb for its advantages.
although i use the great reaper less these days due to advances in rb...
reaps AND bb AND rb all support drag and drop.
so there is another synergy option. (or useing any non pg daw that supports D n'D....lol.)

i suggested rb with regard to the op need cos i just find i can move chunks of midi and audio data around easier in rb and many midi features... eg as in i like that drum fill at bar 48 and want it for bar 55...sorta idea.
i often wonder how many users have discovered tricks in rb bars view for example.
this is not to belittle bb which i hope will get more daw like features.
(but i know some disagree with this. and of course its their right.
i just feel that bb new fab tracks view could be a market slayer with not ALL dawlike features maybe with the nost important ones.
for example i'm not expecting spectral editing daw features in bb.)

bottom line yes bb has lots of nice features but so does rb.
i try to take advantage of the plusses of each.

Funk as has been pointed out maybe look at rb sometime for lots of midi features i cant go into as i would be typing a book. see the pg rb manual on this site to see how rb might be usefull to you.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11 hours ago.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
............................................ How was I to know that Plogue Sforzando sounds are off limits for changing a MIDI sound? If we're expected to just have different instruments on separate tracks, why is there a function to change the MIDI sound within a track at all?

Actually most of the good MIDI sound sources have one patch/sound per track.

The reason there are program changes, that is changes of sounds, per track as all GM sound sources can utilize them. Your problem is that Plogue Sforzando is not a GM sound source. If you want or need program changes and want better sounds than what comes with BiaB then I advise you get a soundfont player. Many GM soundfonts (SF2s) sound better.

PS - I use the BiaB sounds as a scratch pad. Once I have the song the way I want it I drag and drop the MIDI to my DAW, Studio One Pro, and utilize my much better sounds. It does take a little time but the results are worth it, at least to me.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,412
Members38,972
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John, sirhc1956
38,972 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.