Print Thread
Go To
#826566 Yesterday at 01:33 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hello,

I've got Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Windows.

I want to enter a 5-beat melody, but, as everyone knows, Band-in-a-Box only offers 2, 3 or 4-beat bars.

On the other hand, Band in a Box offers a 5-beat style: -J54E8+ Even 5/4 Meter.

When I listen to this style for a few bars, I can clearly hear the 5 beats played in the 4/4 bar.

But I don't see how to easily enter the melody on 5 beats: in the bar each beat is divided into 4, and, for a melody in eighth notes, I don't have the 20 divisions I need.

Do I have to manually divide each beat into 5? But, unless I'm mistaken, it is not possible to do this automatically for the entire song, and if I have to do it bar by bar, I'll be there for hours...! And the display of the melody in the notation sheet will be terrible!

What other solutions have you found?

Lazy Bird
Veteran
Veteran
I'm afraid I don't really know the answer. I've looked at the way BIAB handles 5/4 and it definitely shows exactly 4 beats to the bar, but played as 5 beats to the bar, so this is somewhat of a conundrum as to how to actually correctly enter 5 beat notation.

Others may know more, but I think you are exactly right in saying that the maximum number of beats to a bar is 4 in the BIAB product.

BIAB appears to divide 4 beats into 5 intervals (or something like that).

Bottom line, it doesn't follow any defined music rules, it's some sort of awkward workaround.

This is with the demo song 54_EVEN.STY loaded (Gimmie Five):

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

It won't allow 5 to be entered for the number of beats.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
LB.
(note odd time sigs eg 5/4 = OTS.)

re OTS.

ive done quite a lot of testing of ots in various music apps.
there was a thread awhile back about such but sorry ive forgotten the link .
it might be of some interest if you can locate it and would save me retyping. but as to pg products i found for me rb very usefull for various reasons rather than bb.

one aspect re rb i liked was in rb tracks view i could see the divisions in the bar
graphically. i found generally doing ots's was easier in rb.
just make sure and this is important obviously to set rb time sig to 5/4 and your desired tempo

there are many ways you could enter the melody in rb.
(see the manual to save me typing oodles.)

how do you want to enter the melody ?
via piano roll ? via midi keyboard ? via genning a midi rt or a audio rt and doing editing to get it the way you want ?
via notation ?

there are many methods in rb.

(note...i'm useless at notation so probably i would gen a midi in rb as a starting point or several midi's in rb then comp/edit to get a final melody i was happy with and then midi to audio via a plug inand do the same with audio tracks till i got things the way i wanted.
i would do this comping/final assembly in rb as rb has tons of tracks.)

please post back your preferred work method re creating the melody.

i dont know how much the above helps you but bottom line when it comes to ots i
found rb easier re creating a ots song.
but maybe you dont want to go through learning a new app.
at the very least i would read the rb manual on this pg site (also included with the
shipped software) and run tests with your work methods and see if rb will make things easier.(note rb has also a very usefull 'tips of the day feature'.)

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; Yesterday at 05:01 AM.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lazy Bird.

BIAB does make it easy enough to create a 5/4 song, but the melody and accompaniment need to be split over two bars: one 3/4 bar and one 2/4 bar.

If you click on "Edit" (#1 on the image) and then select "Set Time Signature (#2)", the option to set 5/4 (#3) will appear. When this 5/4 option is selected and OK is pressed, the chord sheet of 3/4 and 2/4 alternating time signatures will be created. The downside of this is that it's necessary to think of two bars on the chordsheet creating a single bar of 5/4.

I hear the rhythmic stresses in 5/4 as "strong-weak weak, medium-weak". For this reason, when I select a style to go with this time signature, I use a 3/4 one since that gives me the rhythmic feel that works for me. That said, 4/4 Realtracks and Realdrums can also be used, and these create a different feel.

The SGU file below with give you an indication of how a 3/4 style sounds.

SGU file in 5/4 using a waltz style (link)

I hope this helps with ideas.
--Noel

P.S. OM is right about Realband. That program has a proper 5/4 time signature, and it is worth investigating.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
LB.
(LB...note 5/4 ruff demo deleted as no reply...if you want 5/4 examples just ask and i'll upload in what ever 5/4 style you want with one shot vocs.).
heres your 5/4 style plus some ruff one shot vocals which prolly suck...lol...done in realband to prove rb will do the job. took 10 mins .
(deleted)

RB piano roll...tracks view...work with 5/4.
not notation it seems....

i'll leave the soundcloud 5/4 demo up for one day or so.

hth/happiness.

@noel...nice detail.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 16 hours ago.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,412
Members38,972
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John, sirhc1956
38,972 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.