Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My wife asked this. Except for the money end of things she can't figure this out. Says we all are just a bunch of egomaniacs.
Why do y'all want to play in public?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If no one wanted to play in public (paid or otherwise), and I'm not just talking musicians here, our entertainment options would be severely limited. So, thank God for the egomaniacs.

Me, I'd rather grab a lawn chair, a cooler, and go see a mediocre band play live than sit at home listening to a CD of the best band in the world. Lets hear it for the egomaniacs.

And as far as I'm concerned, I enjoy sharing my skills and talents with others, no different than offering to help a neighbor work on a project (versus him asking first). It's really not egomania, and it's no different than offering to help someone on this board when they have a problem. I'm not trying to say, "look how good I am", I am merely saying that "I might have something to offer you". You are free to take it or leave it. When I play music in public, I hope you find enjoyment in it and get something out of it, but you are free to take it or leave it.

Of course, there is just nothing more fun than playing music (regardless of your skill level), so why not share the joy?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
There's something in sharing with others, relive a shared experience or some connection with a wider group of people. Ever played a gig where only a few tuned into what you were doing? You kinda tune the rest out and connect with those that get it. It's hard when all you get are the stone looks from the "Frozen Chosen" but when you see some of the faces light up, then it makes all the difference in the world.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For the energy. There are few things that make me feel more alive. And playing loud is, to me, the closest thing to an out-of-body experience without being in an altered mental state. Maybe that's selfish, but . . .

. . . Done in the proper spirit, it's an act of altruism. Other people enjoy it, too.

Besides, if you don't have an ego, you'll stop breathing.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I can't say I disagree with her, John. Sometimes we must be nuts. I'll admit it . . . when I discovered the attention that playing a guitar brought, I was sold. Then finding out I could come close to duplicating my favorite music for others, AND make money I was twice sold. And when I discovered it was a huge powerbase for meeting the ladies, I was three time sold. And so it goes.

But there are nights where her observation is valid. I've enjoyed the challenge - me or them
I have a song written after just such a night asking why do I want to play in public
. . . it starts out

As I look out tonight
At the faces I see
The blue smoke, the stinking beer
The dim lights and me
I wonder if no-one will listen
Why are you here?

I have another one a similar theme called Fools, Bums and Clowns.

Ask a surgeon why he wants to crack chests for a living? Money or Ego? Maybe because he can.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
For me it's all of the above. BTW she said she was only kidding.
Richard I remember opening for Conway Twitty at the Augusta,Me Civic Center.It was like an out of body experience. What made it go that way is his sound people took as much effort with our sound check as they did his. The sound, the lights everything.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Funny i have asked myself that a few times. The other night when i played the anniversary party. I was playing along and really i thought no one was listening. They were socializing and such at tables all around the yard. About the forth or fifth song was Rick Nelson's "Travelin man" A Lady at the table closest in front stopped and turned around. Evidently that song was a favorite of hers and brought back a memory or something. She just looked at me and smiled, kinda like "cool i like that one". Then afterwards as I was packing up several people came up and said thanks that tey really loved the set. One handed me his card and said "we have a party coming up and would you be interested, usually we bring in a full band, but my wife and I loved the fullness of your sound and think it would be perfect".

I think being appreciated for the hard work and effort that goes into performing for others, and the love we have of music, plus the need to be noticed all plays in.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
  1. It's more fun to play for an audience - after all, music should be a dialog with the audience
  2. It's a natural high - a legal drug so to speak
  3. Did I mention it's fun?
  4. It pays the mortgage
  5. Did I say it's fun?
  6. Playing music to an audience is like telling a joke. If there is no one there to hear the joke it's incomplete - if there is no one there to hear the music it's incomplete
  7. Besides, it's fun!
  8. It creates an emotional bond with the audience - it's not really an ego thing because as I said, it's a dialog, a partnership, the audience feeds the musician who feeds the audience who feeds the musician - it's like sex without the physicality
  9. And it's fun
  10. It allows you to take a tax deduction on your instruments and the mileage to get to the gig
  11. Did I say it's fun?
  12. It's a great way to meet members of the opposite sex (don't tell your wife this) - and if I didn't play music for a living, I wouldn't have met the most important woman in the world to me, my wife.
  13. and doesn't she know it's a lot of fun? That's why they call it playing music

I can't imagine my life as anything other than a professional musician. It's not what I do, it's what I am.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Gee Notes now I'm really depressed. Having played music for 45 years and agreeing with all 13 points now finding myself living in a place with no venues at all. Until you posted I had almost convinced myself that playing out wasn't important.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry. Playing for an audience IS important. You might have thought you convinced yourself of that, but it wouldn't have lasted very long.

I almost quite music once, and even got a day gig, trying to become a fine, upstanding citizen of my country. It didn't work, I have to play music. It's not a choice.

You need to create the venue if there is not one there already. Find a restaurant and trade service for service if you have to.

I play in a marina (for pay). Another band comes in and plays for tips only on Wednesday afternoons. Sometimes they walk away with a very full tip jar. I'd guess between $50 and $100 each for a 3 hour jam. Not bad for three retirees who have nothing to do on a Wednesday afternoon.

So face it John, you have to play. You have to share your music with other people. It's selfish (and less fun) to keep it to yourself. Think of the joy you can give to others with your music.

You know you don't really want to quit performing anyway. I don't think I need to stay on the proverbial soap box ;-)

Take care, and good luck finding a venue.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Think of the joy you can give to others with your music.

When I was a young performer, I mistakenly believed the audience came to hear me. In time, I realized they came to relive the memories they attached to the songs. Apparently music is the closest thing to a time machine there will ever be. So, as noted above, playing music does have the effect of giving joy to others. I've noted that on my day job nobody ever applauds or gives a standing ovation when I do something right. Those responses are reserved for the things that particularly please people. And of all the ways you can spend your life, making people happy isn't such a bad way. If you have fun while doing it, all the better. If you get PAID to have fun doing it... man, I want that job!

so... where will you be moving to, John...?
;-)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Gonna start looking this fall Pat. The issue of course is our terrible economy. I'm fortunate enough to not have to work BUT there's not much left over for other things. I'm not rich,moneteraly, by any means. I do own my house and that's the issue. In order to even give the house a chance to sell I'd have to take a $50K hit. I can't afford 2 houses nor a house and rent. So.....we look and wait and hope.
Notes I have tried everything here. Everyplace I go I offer to play for just tips. I'm in the middle everyplace wants either loud rock or a solo acoustic act.
I need to stop wining.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
One suggestion might be to scale down your act a bit and kinda of lean towards a solo accoustic act. You play bass mostly from what i gather simplify that songs down to just a recorded accoustic, bass live, and maybe a very soft simple drum track. Some songs just accoustic and bass, or piano and bass. With BiaB and Rb you do not have to worry about timing issues. From that i imagine you play a reasonable amount of accoustic, or could with a little work.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
R
Expert
Expert
R
I just enjoy lugging around equipment!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for this great topic.

Great answers and points made by all of you and with this said I truly believe everyone who plays live gigs are in somewhat of a brotherhood. Case in point, say you point out any of the reasons or points made above to a civilian/non-musician, they just won't get it. But when you say feed off of an audience, connect with all or just a portion of that audience, the music bringing back memories (either good or bad) to members of that audience, or as Notes says just fun to another gigging musician he/she gets it 100%!

I think Billy Joel's "The Piano Man" is the tune that most gigging musicians can relate to simply because we have all been there, period. It just might be the Gigging Musician's Anthem, especially the ones who have played the small venues around the country.

Again, good topic!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Gonna start looking this fall Pat. The issue of course is our terrible economy. I'm fortunate enough to not have to work BUT there's not much left over for other things. I'm not rich,moneteraly, by any means. I do own my house and that's the issue. In order to even give the house a chance to sell I'd have to take a $50K hit.

I've been reading a lot online lately about house swapping. It's a great way to keep both parties from losing equity. Search online to see how it works. You have an advantage in that your house is in a vacation-type setting. Somebody somewhere wants to be where you are, but they don't want to lose their equity either.

Nuffa that. We now return to the regularly scheduled thread about gigging...
;-)

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I think Billy Joel's "The Piano Man" is the tune that most gigging musicians can relate to simply because we have all been there, period. It just might be the Gigging Musician's Anthem, especially the ones who have played the small venues around the country.

You're so right on this Danny. And I'm not even a piano player. Did it with Harmonica and 12-string, sometimes a bassist. Always started an evening with it and it always attracted the attention of the patrons. Talk about a slice of life. It got me into the evening from the get-go.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
My microphone always smelled like Pizza!

Okay and beer!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I’ve been thinking about this one for a couple of days, (unlike my usual response).

First of all, little boys start playing guitar for one reason. They want the girls to pay some “special” attention to them.

Guess what? It works! And after I got that “special” attention, I discovered that I really liked playing guitar!

Then I started playing because I wanted to play.

Playing with others became a “special” experience too, because it was something I hadn’t experienced before. Especially since I started playing with a group of exceptional musicians.

Then came the period of playing in “flatpicking” contests where I was competing against former national champions. The first one, I was relaxed because I didn’t think I had a chance of winning, and I won. The second was the same and I won again. I placed second in the next two contests, partially because I thought I could win. Third next.

It ceased to be “fun” because it became a competition for me and not about making music. Dueling guitars anyone? Notice my results went downhill when I started taking it seriously.

That’s when I stopped playing publically. It screwed up my mindset about what playing music was.

Hopefully, one day I can get back to just playing music. Don’t ever encourage anyone to play in contests. Going from having 3 judges critique every note and nuance to just making music and expressing yourself isn’t an easy transition.

Music should be fun. For the listener and the musician! Oh well.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Gonna play devils advocate here (hope bobcflatpicker is OK with that..)

Competition does make one practice more and practicing ain't a bad thing. If it becomes 'I gotta be better than them' then it has lost the fun, but a little competition to increase the juices isn't always a bad thing. I remember challenge days for 1st chair.. somehow caused me to practice a bit more.

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,770
Posts749,021
Members38,872
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
6packofsteel, danielito, burny7777, ELDebansky, Chief O’ Stuff
38,872 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 141