Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
rharv,

Quote:

Gonna play devils advocate here (hope bobcflatpicker is OK with that..) Competition does make one practice more and practicing ain't a bad thing.

It's cool rharv. It did make me practice more, but it also took of the fun out of playing. After I won a few contests, when I ran into a new guitar player they didn't want to jam, they wanted to have "dueling guitars".

It got old real quick.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Maybe we should all just climb into a hole and bury ourselves. Life without live music? I'd kill myself. Musicians with ego problems, yes there are some but they are in every field. But there is nothing like live music from someone who just wants to share the joy in their heart.
I do it because I love to put a smile on people's faces.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well ... I do it for the ... er ... ahem! ... Ummmmmm .... Ok. Let's start over here.

I used to do it for:
1. Sex
2. Money
3. Sex
4. The high you get from the audience
5. Sex

Ok. 1, 3 and 5 I'm just kidding. It' was really an ego thing. Made me feel good to make the crowd feel good. That's why I like dance type music. Older rock 'n roll and country music. They have a solid feel to them and people enjoy the feeliing it gives them.

When I was a young kid I noticed that the guitar player was the one who always got the girls. (Or so it seems) I was very shy around girls so I taught myself to play the guitar when I was 17. I became a pro musician. I got popular. I got girls. I made money. I got girls. My ego was fulfilled. Did I mention I got the girls? I went places. And lots 'n lots of girls.

Now I have the girl of my dreams, I'm getting old, I'm tired and don't feel like doing anything much. I've got all this stuff and I'm not doing anything with it. I've gotten into flying RC airplanes to the point of distraction but it's a heck of a lot of fun. I'm also a parent for a foreign exchange student for the year. So I'm just not into my music like I was a couple of years ago. I've just lost my drive. Probably due to having been poisoned by agent orange in vietnam. But, who knows? Maybe tomorrow, I'll suddenly get the fire back in my blood to perform again.

Anyone know someone in the Deville Louisiana area that plays guitar and sings?

See ya Mates.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Think of the joy you can give to others with your music.

When I was a young performer, I mistakenly believed the audience came to hear me. In time, I realized they came to relive the memories they attached to the songs. Apparently music is the closest thing to a time machine there will ever be. So, as noted above, playing music does have the effect of giving joy to others. I've noted that on my day job nobody ever applauds or gives a standing ovation when I do something right. Those responses are reserved for the things that particularly please people. And of all the ways you can spend your life, making people happy isn't such a bad way. If you have fun while doing it, all the better. If you get PAID to have fun doing it... man, I want that job!

so... where will you be moving to, John...?
;-)

Pat, you made a most excellent post. One band I joined (after not playing for 50 years) is a volunteer band that plays at a different retirement home/hospital every week. As you said "giving joy to others." In fact our band is called Joyful Noise. My wife's mom (now passed) was in an Alzheimers care facility and we play there once a month (duet with backup) as well as another dementia care facility and a rehab hospital. We are truly amateurs, but those folks really look forward to our visits as does the staff. We also play at church. Our reward is those smiles and finger tapping of some residents including stroke victims. The problem is that, even though there are times that we really would not like to go and play on a particular day, we do it anyway knowing our consciences would bother us if we didn't. BIAB has been a fantastic backup for us to be able to play at those venues. Also someone on this forum suggested Note's disks and fakebooks. We now have 8 fakebooks with Note's disks for 6 of those. All you have to do is give the facilities a call and talk to their activities director(s). Our daughter is a teacher and we also play at her school, but that's a different kind of program. For sound equipment, we plug an mp3 player into a Roland cm-30 cube. For awhile we were just making our own cds and using a boombox. Okay, I'll stop, but my point is that if you want to play in public, this is one way to do it.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I have performed for more than forty years. ( As a hobby )
Many years ago, I asked myself why an I doing this? When we perform live, every performance is different, and also every audience. Sometimes the crowd is with you, and other times you are working like h.... and nothing seems to work. You are draging your gear to the place, and draging it home again in the morning for "a few" bucks. The only thing that is for sure is that on 90% of the times something goes wrong.
One mic stop to work, the "sound man gets drunk" a.s.o. One time not so long ago, I could not take a brake. I had to stand in front of the gear with a cofee cup in my hand when I took a break. to catch the drunk people who wanted to try my guitar or was falling into the gear. So I have stopped to ase myself why I am doing this.
There must be someting that I like about it. The only differents is that I like to play as early as possible. I am tired of people filling beer into my amplifier.

Off-Topic
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
I have a friend that actually laughs at "non professionals" that play in public.
He wouldn't walk across the street to see a local band play.
Too bad for him...!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Harpster - they're always there, aren't they? They're either better than . . . , or they're too good for . . . or they can't play . . . or they wouldn't lower themselves . . . who wants them in the audience anyway?
I always enjoyed having the girls watch and their boyfriends get upset. What a hoot!

Tono - engaging the audience all makes it worth while. That's the whole thing - it's "live", it's "life".

Silvertones - any comment from your wife about these comments?? I'm curious.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
It seems to me that asking why one wants to play music in public is like asking why one wishes to have sex with other people.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
2 primary reasons:
a) I play in church - for me this is an integral part of my worship and is primarily for me. This is time with my God doing something I love using a gift He gave me in an art form He created. What could be better? The fact that people in the congregation (hopefully) benefit is actually of secondary, though NOT diminished, importance.

b) Other venues/groups:
This includes a couple of big bands (one is a student band the other primarily a rehearsal band though we are open for gigs), a couple of "show bands", and orchestra appearances for a couple of musical societies. I enjoy working with the other musicians to create a harmonious whole and I like to see and hear people enjoying themselves. When I am part of creating the enjoyment it's a real buzz. I certainly don't do it for the money; aside from a small token payment from one of the musical societies for which I play in the orchestra, all the playing I do is gratis. Not to say I wouldn't like to make a buck at it, but the last time I made a business out of something I loved (IT/computers) I eventually came to hate it. Perhaps this is part of: "It's more blessed to give than to receive"...

Interestingly, while I don't actually seek out recognition, when it comes it is always welcome and most pleasant. Especially when it comes from other musicians, most especially good ones. Perhaps my current greatest moment of this nature was playing the 'bone part for "Pirates of Penzance" when it was put on by Wyong Musical Theatre Company in May (?) of 2009. Apparently the society's members hadn't heard a reasonable (dare I say decent) trombone for a long time - not even sure they'd had one available - and the comments were wonderful. Took ages for my head to shrink enough to get through normal size doors again

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
"I have a friend that actually laughs at "non professionals" that play in public.
Too bad for him...!"

Usually folks like that are just jealous,a nd are also rather egocentric, and hate others getting any attention. They wish people would pay to see them do anything at all. People usually heckle to get their share of the attention as well.

I was once doing a small show at a frinds house for a going away party when he was moving back east years ago. There was one guy in the crowd that we both knew, that kept heckling us as we played. The thing he did not take into consideration was we had mikes, and everyone could hear us better, so all i did was turn it back on him, and imitate him to a tee. Soon the hunter was the hunted!

Another funny thing is that people that mock local talent, for the most part are far from unique. They tend to like only what is mainstream. They make comments like "dude, that doesn't sound like the record man!" Uh yeah ya think! Wow for a minute i thought i was Clapton!

It's kind of like the kids in high school that try so hard to be different, that they become just like everyone else that try's to hard to be different, so that they become rather normal.

Remember the old Tee Shirt, " If you ain't country you ain't S##T" Well under that thought, the question i have is what are you if you are country then?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

**************************************************************************************************

"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

**************************************************************************************************

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

but the last time I made a business out of something I loved (IT/computers) I eventually came to hate it. Perhaps this is part of: "It's more blessed to give than to receive"...

...Apparently the society's members hadn't heard a reasonable (dare I say decent) trombone for a long time - not even sure they'd had one available - and the comments were wonderful. Took ages for my head to shrink enough to get through normal size doors again

These two points are exactly why I still love to play out and/or rehearse as much as I can. I don't exactly hate my job but it's not the love of my life either. Music is a definite outlet for me, a chance to polish my skills and interact with the public. I would not be happy if I lost that. A once a month jazz gig I do is in a small bar attached to a restaurant, no stage we just set up on the floor in a corner so people can stand right next to me if they want and sometimes they do if I'm doing something hot. Even though it can be distracting, they will make some very nice comments and frankly I like that. The guitarist is on the opposite side from me and he will have his fans standing right next to him too. There could be 50 people in there and only 10 are really paying attention but thats enough to make it worthwhile. I also act as a rehearsal pianist for a couple of big bands and that is a completely different trip and I enjoy that as well. I'm not a great big band player but I do know chord voicings and I can swing. I'm not that familiar with the material but it's fun anyway. Big band piano is a totally different style from me playing small group jazz fusion and I've been told their guy can't do what I do either. They did throw me a gig when he was out of town on a business trip and I have to tell you playing with all those horns was a real blast.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I have a friend that actually laughs at "non professionals" that play in public.
Too bad for him...!

and that's exactly how a lot of people talk themselves out of trying anything in life.

All accomplishment comes with some risk. Sometimes the risk is financial. Sometimes we risk criticism, or any one of a hundred other discomforts. The old saying "no pain, no gain" is true. Those who have no tolerance for discomfort will tend to choose inactivity over an uncomfortable learning curve.

Those types eventually become prisoners of their own criticism.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Quote:

How does he think "professionals" get started? LOL.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If the music is good, I could care less if a professional or not was playing it.

Some people listen with their eyes, brains, prejudices, or everything but their ears.

I just came back from Budapest, and I heard some great musicians playing on the street with a violin case open for coins, I also heard the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra and a few "gypsy" bands in restaurants and cafes.

Great town, great music, great fun!!!

Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 09/24/10 07:35 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I was listening to music in my car driving to another town this morning and thinking of this thread. A psychiatrist mentioned to me once that people get power from their jobs and I think that's the main thing I get out of performing music. The power (perceived or real) it gives me personally. When the music is right (real or imagined), I feel that I am showing people who I am and what I can do. There's probably a lot of fantasy in there too.

I used to foolosophize with a guitar player friend of mine. He always said that all his problems began when he got on stage. I had to agree with him. Your whole life is onstage with you when you perform. Good, bad, confident, insecure, cockiness, shyness and the list goes on forever. I've been all of those things while onstage. But when it is right, there's nothing like it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm quite relaxed on stage, and have a lot of fun there. If I go to a party, I'd rather be in the band than on the dance floor or in the audience. It's more fun.

I think the question should be, "Why would you not want to play in public?"

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
As far as playing in public goes, I am an "amature" as the word goes, I make mistakes, lots of them, but it dosn't keep me from enjoying what I love to do.
I have asked my friend why does he think a person shouldn't play in public unless they are a "perfect professional".
His responce ::: " Music is ment to be listened to and enjoyed flawlessly, not to hear a frickin harmonica player, or a sax player hit an off note riff", and he is my friend...!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
harpster,

How 'bout tellin' your friend that even Eric Clapton sucked at one point. If your friend had listened to him and he told him how bad he was at the start, and Clapton had taken that to heart, then we may never have heard all of the great music that he's recorded since then.

I'm not condoning bad playing. Just saying that when people are listening for "free", they shouldn't be bitchin' about what they "paid" for.

If you're being paid to play, there's nothing wrong with expecting the musician to at least be decent. But if it's free, don't bitch unless you can pick up an instrument and do it better.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Some of the biggest critics i know can't play a radio without help. I have several friends that just have the strongest opinions about stuff like this and it amazes me to no end. How many restuarants can afford a prime time player to entertain the patrons. Everyone hits a bad note, even the best pros hit wrong notes. Perfection does not even happen on albums.

Professional singers hit flat and sharp notes at times. Paintings sometimes cvome out less than stellar, The best baseball player in history failed almosat 7 out of 10 times.

What cracks me up is when a guy makes fun of a entertainer in a rest lounge or bar who hits one or two notes all night, but that guy could not sing in key if his life depended on it. One frind of mine would sing along in the car when we went places and i am serious this guy could not sing at all! Every note was off key!!
But he was one of the biggest hecklers.

Johnny Cash was off key at times, Kris Kristoferson most of the time. Both are famous. Less than perfection did not stop them from trying to excel at their crafts.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,685
Posts748,094
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 203