Off-Topic
D
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
D
Quote:

jazzmandan, consider this thread thoroughly hijacked.

Not that easy! . I love you flatpickers. I honestly don't know how you keep so much going all at the same time. But what you do, I will never be able to do in this lifetime. As a result, while I greatly admire it, it doesn't inspire me.

For inspiration I put up this guy every so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FkjEaEZ2Hk

Now I know what you guys think of "fast" players, but listen (watch) his "technique", listen to his tone. This is sweep picking by one who has mastered the art. And before you blast us with your old-school ways ("...hey you kids get off my lawn"), George is a friend of mine and a BIAB user.

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper! Ended.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
He’s a very talented guitarist. There’s no way that I could play that stuff.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Got hooked on this guy when I was a teenager, and I'm still hooked.

HR

Nowadays I watch this guy,

DB

and of course,

PM

I bought the last video at the suggestion of Mac, and it's really opened up my ears. I can't tell you how much Mac has helped me throughout the years.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Ive got a claim to fame with Mr T E.Dave Edmunds brought him to a party one Christmas time at Rockfield studios.I had never heard of the guy but was amazed by his playing.Edmunds played a set so did a brilliant Welsh guitarist called Micky Gee and then on came Tommy what a night.Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jeff Healy, I got to talk to him a couple of times. He also had a jazz group, and hosted a number of jazz shows, the best was on www.jazz.fm a Toronto based jazz fm station.

He died, I forget what illness got him but he was blind and taught himself to play guitar like you see in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJh3KaIKDAw&feature=related

When he way dying they had booked a gig at our city's new year's celebration outdoors in a park. It was -1C or 31F, raining and freezing, puddles everywhere as the temp dropped towards midnight. I wasn't stupid enough to go to the park but it was on local cable. And there he was, just weeks before he died, sick, but playing his heart out in the park. After he died I told my wife, 'that's total devotion to your craft.' He played small smoky clubs, and his recording 'Angel Eyes', was his signature song.

I don't play the guitar but he'd be my vote, learning to play like that and being blind, it's inspirational.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
absolutely loved Jeff Healey what a tragedy that he has died.Not only was he a superb guitarist but I loved his voice.Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
So many guitarists, famous and not so famous, and so little time. A great and varied selection of talented guitarists has been presented and I would like to the list with some of my influences: Django, Charlie Christian, Jimmy Bryant, Wes Montgomery, Scotty Anderson, Mark Knopfler, Hank Garland (Jazz Winds), Charlie Byrd, Leon Rhodes, and the list goes on. I like TE but I too can only listen to 2 to 4 cuts at a time. What I really enjoy is how much he loves to play and how he influences other great players like Jim Nichol and Frank Vignola to stretch out when they play with him. lk Thanks for stirring a memory of HR. I have a number of his albums my favourite being Jaunty Jolly. I remember he used to play a round hole flat top guitar. I caught Jeff Healy a couple of times and really enjoyed his performance. I recall he lost his eyesight to cancer very young and cancer eventually killed him a few years ago. He switched musical genres over to jazz in his last years and played guitar and trumpet. I love these kind of forums because they reconnect me with my past, and this is a fond part of my past. Thanks DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
For me, inspiration [and sometimes utter defeat!] comes from the one and only-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjQv52Nzno

And try this on for size-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoRq1JAwHJg&feature=related

Dan

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
OUTSTANDING! Yes, of course! Joe Pass! And Roy Clark ain't no slouch either! For a long time a lot of players never took Roy seriously because he clowned around and did funny things when he played, but make no mistake, the dude can play. Whew! Thanks!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And, in a totally different direction:

Oscar Castro Neves, the brains behind the Sergio Mendes nylon guitar sound and arrangements, who makes anyone's Brazilian album sound phenomenal, and

Romero Lubambo, who followed in the same style and who developed further as a jazz soloist (and who is the anchor on my CD; working with him is one of the greatest experiences of my musical life).

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
one of my favorites at the moment, a very gifted guitarist but still within scope if you practice a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnv66NDZ74

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Most all of my favorite guitarists have been listed already.

Let’s not forget Link Ray, Billy Strange, Glenn Hall, Tony Mattola, Kenny Burell, Mel Bay, Charlie Christian, Scotty Moore, Chuck Berry and a ton of others to numerous to mention. We can learn from all of them.

Also let’s not forget other instruments. Organists like Jimmy Smith, Dr. Lonnie Smith, etc. or horn men like Miles, Coltrane, Adderley (both of them), Smith, and I could go on and on. Musicians can learn a lot by listening to both other instruments and other genres of music other than our preferred genre and instrument.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, I've got O.C.D, Old, Cranky, and Dangerous.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As a multi-instrumentalist, I cannot think of one person to single out. After all, guitarists, vocalists, organists and other instrumentalists influenced my sax playing. So all these plus my own sax playing have influenced my guitar playing (since I played sax many years before I picked up the guitar).

Also, I've played with some of the best guitarists in the world back in the time when I was doing warm up for major acts in concert. I look at people like Rick Derringer, Eric Clapton, and others as contemporaries, not as idols. I've jammed with so-called idols and they have treated me as an equal (most big stars that I've met do not have swelled heads), simply having a good time exchanging musical licks. I am appreciative of other musician's talents, and have a great time jamming with them, love what they do, but not awe struck by them.

But one rock/fusion player recently dropped my jaw. I saw the video of Jeff Beck "Live At Ronnie Scott's". The camera operators and editor(s) must have been guitarists, because there are close up views of Jeff's hands when he is doing extraordinary things. And the extraordinary things he does are indeed superhuman. Things I've never seen any other guitarist do, plus doing three things at once with his right hand.

Whether you like Jeff's music or not, I recommend that all guitarists rent that DVD just to be amazed at Jeff's technical mastery of the guitar. BTW, Eric Clapton is also on the DVD. As we all know, Eric is no slouch on the guitar, but the comparison between Jeff and Eric is remarkable. Jeff's playing is sooooooo much better.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hey Jazzmandan, If I could encourage you with this thought regarding getting overwhelmed with certain players and what they do, it would be to gain an appreciation for their creativity. Somewhere in my development I came to the conclusion that I was not able to put in the time as they guys could to come up with what they could do. From there, I set out to truly enjoy these artisans on a different plane than the average listener being I am aware of what they are doing mechanically from my guitar playing, though I can never demonstrate it, it actually served to create in me a new direction that I never would have taken had I not been confronted by that guitarist's contribution. So, did I accomplish their techniques? Not. But, it did inspire a somewhat hybrid of what they do with what I do to bring me to a new direction.

I have my own video story. Years ago, I had purchased an Eric Johnson video to "pick up a few tips." And I learned the theme of these instructional videos is for these guys to ham it up to keep that "shock and awe" value inside the student so they don't aspire to their level. In his video, his guitar was so over ladened with delays, choruses, etc that you could not delineate the note that was plucked from the repeaters that tailed afterwards. And the fret board screen beneath went by like a lightening bolt. It communicated to me that he never had any intention to instruct but to show off. If he really wanted to instruct, he would at least taken off all the effects so you can at least hear the true tone of the notes he was fingering. Don't waste your money on any guitar videos. You would get more on Youtube than on any video.

Oh, one more guy! Check this out!

Cheers!
RickeG

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
RickeG,

I like the way Doyle Dikes mixed up the styles! One thing I hoped to see on this post was some different musical ideas about music and guitars.

And on another point, some “pickers” put out “instructional” videos to teach, and others put them out to show off! Thank goodness some are actually trying to teach!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
About good instructional videos, I learned a whole lot about bossa nova guitar from the late Emily Remler's videos on YouTube, and I don't even play guitar.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
These guys seem ok. I'm mean, nothing too spectacular, but they're pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M

Dan

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

Quote:

These guys seem ok. I'm mean, nothing too spectacular, but they're pretty good.

Not bad. Actually, this one went straight to my "Guitar Greats" folder on YouTube. It sounds like Brent Mason may have been inspirational to Vince Gill and his style of "chicken pickin' ". I've always loved Vince's guitar playing. The "TeleMaster". He ain't too shabby on the mandolin and bluegrass playing either.

If I had heard the link without the video, I would have thought it was Vince playing lead.

Thanks for the link.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
This guy is inspiring too, me thinks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HoweGreg

Dan

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Of course if we're not counting strings, this classic performance between these two gracious legens is one for the books. You'll want to book mark this goosebump inspiring clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVVrcw16ek

Dan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,967
Posts751,709
Members38,959
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Alesha, jarredou, jadecomeria58, Seraphinang, Nevillberger
38,959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
rsdean 105